1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anonymous hackers take down Vatican site

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by raborban, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raborban

raborban Thread Starter

The main website of the Vatican was inaccessible Wednesday after what appears to have been an attack by malicious hackers claiming to be affiliated with the Anonymous hacking collective.

An Associated Press story in USA Today quoted Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi as confirming the site's unavailability but declining to comment on the likely source of the problem.

The Vatican could not be reached for comment at deadline.

Full story: http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ng_to_be_from_Anonymous_take_out_Vatican_site

2. valis

valis Moderator

don't get those guys. What, precisely, will that accomplish? Aside from publicity, that is.

3. SheldonCooperPhD

SheldonCooperPhD

They are sick of the government, they are trying to make their point by attacking websites, same with Lulz Security, by taking out the CIA website, and Anonymous's attack on the FBI and Department of Justice when Megaupload was shut down for Conspiracy to commit Copyright Infringement, This one is probably in outrage against the recent arrest of 6 people believed to be involved with Anonymous and Lulz Security (LulzSec) which you can read about on the FBI website here: http://www.fbi.gov/losangeles/press...1-intrusion-of-sony-pictures-computer-systems

4. valis

valis Moderator

doesn't matter who they are sick off, they are totally going about this the wrong way.

5. SheldonCooperPhD

SheldonCooperPhD

Eh, they have the right to their opinion I suppose, can't REALLY complain, the only thing they did that bothered most people was the Sony attacks,

6. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

They have the right to their opinion, but that doesn't give them the right to commit acts of electronic vandalism against other people's property.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

You try telling the FBI/Homeland security that if you try taking your PC into the States ;)

8. sportzriter13

sportzriter13

I can't say I am surprised. Agreed that there are better ways, but then again...who is getting more attention? What they are doing is really effective at getting a point across.

what happened?!?!?!?!

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

They tore it apart and confiscated the disk.

When I eventually got the disk back, it had been wiped. No explanation, apology, or compensation offered. Wisely I left a back-up at home, but my business trip was totally wasted.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044335