1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anonymous surfing: does it work?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WesNathan, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WesNathan

WesNathan Thread Starter

I'm looking for an effective program that provides true anonymous browsing without attaching itself to the computer forever. I've been reading about the various options and, apparently, they all have their good points and bad. I tried Hotspot Shield and it seemed to work OK. But then I started having what seemed like malware problems. During the purging process I discovered Hotspot Shield will not allow itself to be removed from the computer.

It took a week and a lot of trial and error by some pretty sharp techs before the program was finally deleted. I don't want another program that refuses to uninstall and go away, for the sake of anonymity.

Suggestions appreciated.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    None that I have seen.
    The best thing to do is NOT browse to those places you do not want others to see that you been there.

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

... but if you are interested this https://tails.boum.org/ can be run from DVD/USB - the browser will be very slow.
    From that website: "Tails is a live system that aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity. It helps you to use the Internet anonymously almost anywhere you go and on any computer but leave no trace using unless you ask it explicitly.
    It is a complete operating-system designed to be used from a DVD or a USB stick independently of the computer's original operating system."

and they also say: "Even though we're doing our best to offer you good tools to protect your privacy while using a computer, there is no magic or perfect solution to such a complex problem."

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

This has always been a sensitive subject on TSG. I can see very few legitimate reasons for requiring anonymity in browsing the Web. Keep in mind that there isn't anything 100% anonymous available, to the general public anyway...

5. WesNathan

WesNathan Thread Starter

OK, that answers my question. Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice