1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anonymous surfing through VPN and ZoneAlarm

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pizzaboy, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Thread Starter

Hi,

I've just setup a VPN so I can have anoymous surfing, however upon setup Vista asks me for the Network Type: Home, Work or Public. All these types aparently allow my computer to be "discovered"? How do I know if my computer is indeed anonymous?

I'm also using ZoneAlarm to protect my computer, can anyone help me with the following setup. I want all internet activities going through the VPN. If the VPN goes down, I want to prevent any other forms of internet access from happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How are you implementing a VPN to make you anonymous on the internet? And where are you terminating your VPN tunnel?

3. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Thread Starter

Err... bit of newbie when it comes to networking...

I purchased the IP VPN from a vendor, and aparently it features anonymous surfing, but obviously I want to check at my end whether I'm protected...

Obviously, I've checked my IP on a website, and it confirms the VPN IP is being used - is that really sufficient to say I'm anonymous? Surely not?

4. zx10guy

What is this IP VPN and who is the vendor?

5. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Thread Starter

The vendor is VPNGates.com. Why would the vendor matter? Surely theres a way I can physically check for myself?

6. zx10guy

The way this service works is that you are creating a VPN tunnel to their servers. Then you hop out to the internet using their IP and not your ISP's IP address block. When you bring up the tunnel and establish the connection to their servers, you are essentially anonymous.

7. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Thread Starter

Sorry, guess I'm just bit paranoid when it comes to these things...

I'll question the ZoneAlarm on the security forum...

Thanks.

8. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Thread Starter

Hmm... it appears there is no Firewall forum, so I guess the question remains.

How do I setup ZoneAlarm so all internet activity goes through the VPN and if the VPN goes down, no applications can access the internet?

Any ideas?

9. Gaspar

Gaspar

just be careful about using vpngates.com - i signed up sevice with them (pre-paid 4 months) Their connections work for 2-3 days then quit. After assigning me with 4 diferrent ip addresses in 3 weeks, their support responses ceased. Have not heard from them anymore. The company is out of China and good bye $40.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice