1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another Acronis True Image question

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by letchworth, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. letchworth

letchworth Thread Starter

With comments about M$ stopping support for XP down the line-- is this a practical solution to extending XP usage when/if they stop issuing installation codes?

(I guess the "fly in the ointment" is the possibility of the death of the MB??)

I guess I've not seen the question addressed and wondered what others may think?
    letchworth

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is the Acronis question? :confused:

There will be plenty of warning of the impending support termination, then you can simply pick up all the patches for XP, perhaps using something like AutoPatcher to simply apply all the patches.

3. Spider111

Spider111

I didn't catch the Acronis question too. :confused:

4. letchworth

letchworth Thread Starter

Yes, not a question about how to use TI-- but a question of its suitability for lengthening the usability of XP past M$ planned obsolescence.

I am not a current user of TI, but reading so much on this forum about it has gotten me wondering. Two assumptions I have about its use- are these both correct:
    1- Reinstalling XP on the same machine with IT does not require re-authorization from M$
    2- Upon the death of the motherboard in that machine, however, reinstalling XP from IT to a new machine will not work (because the image contains MB drivers that are no longer appropriate.

To me, question #1 speaks of TI as an "insurance policy" as I assume that M$ will stop issuing authorization codes for a legally purchased copy of XP. I realize that they will stop developing patches for the holes they find in XP- but there are still uses for XP in many environments disconnected from the Internet and isolated from the possibility of infected external data.

To me, question #2 speaks of the "brick wall"; Acronis TI can carry you this far and no further (because, to allow the image to be used on ANY machine, would open up the tool to become a piracy tool). I am not interested at all in installing XP on more than one machine- however, I am concerned about using my legally purchased copy beyond Microsoft's planned obsolescence- whether on this current machine or, if it's MB dies, another machine or another motherboard.

John- thanks for the mention of AutoPatcher-- I'll look into that one.

Thanks for asking for more clarification on the nature of my question- in reality it is not a "how to" but a "what if" question (I'll have plenty of the how to questions once I get to using it myself-- but am hoping to draw upon your experience to look beyond today, just a bit.
    letchworth

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice