Another BSoD error...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

d0nk3y

I'm sure you probably get a lot of these, and I'm sorry, but I am clueless... I really don't know much about computers, so all attempts at help will be appreciated.

Over the last few months, my computer has crashed, probably 100+ times, into the blue screen. I don't remember it word for word, but it says different things, such as "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" , a "STOP: " message with many numbers... and today I noticed something about "nv4_disp" , and I never recall seeing that before, though it may have been there the whole time.

I am using XP Home Edition by the way... I don't know what other specs you need... Or where to find them, but I can try...

The computer crashes mainly when someone is playing a game, but it has crashed while just browsing the internet. I have not installed any new hardware that I know of... and all software installed around that time has been uninstalled, but it didn't help...

Also, I am trying to update my graphics driver, because some site said to do that... :p I don't know if it will help, or if I even clicked on the right one, but who knows... :p

Thanks a bunch, all help is appreciated...

Oh, and I don't know a thing about computers :p

d0nk3y

Alright... Sorry I couldn't get you a number, but it just crashed again, so I guess that's good...

It's stop error "0xA"...

0x0000000A...

Again, all help will be appreciated.

d0nk3y

Alright, I'll look into it. Thanks...

Just need to figure out how to update my drivers :p

d0nk3y

Alright :p I tried to download a new driver a few days ago, but it still crashed today...

But umm... what Is "POST" and what does the last known good configuration do? It's not like... a system restore thing, where it deletes stuff, is it? :cool:

:confused:

valis

sorry awalker, you've got the faster fingers....didn't even notice when posting.

awalker0878

Removed by request
POST (Power On Self Test) is the checks the bios does to make sure your comp is running ok. Last known configuration reverts your corrupt system files and HKLM\CurrentControlSet to your values of your last successful logon hence if you logoned on again when you computer is not working properly that would become the last known good configuration that is why it is best used FIRST.

d0nk3y

I think the BSoDs started to occur around 2 or 3 months ago, do you think the Last Known Good Configuration would still work?

And umm... :( How do you find what Graphics Card you have? :eek:

awalker0878

Removed by request
they happen intermit, ok. Valis suggestion does make sense than because Last Known good config will not fix the proble. OK hit F8 after post and select "Enable VGA Mode" that will load a safe universal vga (video graphics adapter) driver. Then goto your OEM website and download the driver that matches you video card model.

d0nk3y

:) Okay, but I honestly don't know what video card I have :)

Oh, and the OEM website would be appreciated :D

Thanks again, for all the help.

To find what kind of video card you have:

• Start
  • Control Panel
  • System
  • Hardware
  • Device Manager
  • Expand Display Adapters
  • Note the name of your video card

Can't tell you what site to go to and which drivers to get unless we know what card you have.

d0nk3y

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420... :)

I wish they could name them something cool, like "Thunderbird" :D

Right, I will try this tomorrow, after school...

(I told you I was a computer illiterate) :)

Thanks, and Good Night...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online