1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another Civ IV Issue

Discussion in 'Games' started by tjhgr81, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjhgr81

tjhgr81 Thread Starter

Ok. Where to start this story...

Like Metalarif, I too now have a Dell XPS M1530 and have installed Civ IV. For the first few weeks, it ran like a champ. This was after running it on my old Dell and the video card limitations causing it to crash a lot. Just recently it's started coming up with this error as either it tries to Autosave, or sometimes when I save it, where it says: "Memory Allocation Failure - Exiting Program. Reason: Bad Allocation.File.\CvAppMainLoop.cpp.line!261"

Now, to me it seems like some sort of obvious memory failure, which also seems rediculous considering that I have 4Gb of RAM and just a few Gigs (300) of storage. The problem is I have no idea what to do about it. I've tried adjusting all of the graphics settings to run on the lowest of levels, but to no avail. The other thing I noticed is that it started doing this only after I used the WorldBuilder feature a few times and changed things here and there). Not quite sure why this would matter since it's a normal feature in the game, unless it was just too much changed at once. But again, this system should be able to handle that and the top graphics with ease.

Any guidance would be awesome, since (I forgot to mention) I've gotten no response in three days from 2K Games.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    is the video card integrated/

3. tjhgr81

tjhgr81 Thread Starter

How would I check for that? I wouldn't think it'd be a Vid Card issue, since I not only have a much better Vid card, but I also have tried setting the graphics on the lowest levels.

Thanks!

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Start > Run > type dxdiag. When screen pops up, click on display and note down what video card is there.

5. tjhgr81

tjhgr81 Thread Starter

Welp, it's got everything that's supposed to be there.
    Here's some of it:

Device
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Approx. Total Memory: 1774 MB

DirectX Features
    DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
    Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
    AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

This one's got me stumped. I have no idea what this issue is. Is there some way to allocate an amount of memory to a program. I'd assume that it would have access to everything always. I have made sure not to run anything else while the game is running, as well as have reinstalled the game twice now.

Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice