Another Computer that won't post.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Elveness

I have a Asus An8 sli Premium mobo, AMD 3800 dual core processor, 1 gig memory, Mad Dog
550 psu, a dvd burner, a cd-rom, 2 HDD, Nvidia Gforce 6600 video card. I put this together
myself in November. Has been working fairly well with an occassional glich. Last week, on a reboot, the computer would never post...it just sits on the Asus logo screen. I have taken out the ram, tried it one single stick at a time....no go. I have replaced the ram with new...no go.
I have unplugged the all HDD's and DVD and CD drives with one stick of ram...no go. The lights and fans work when the puter is turned on. Any ideas?

It's just an educated guess, I guess. It sounds like you have tried a lot of other things that it could be, but it's not it. POST is the Power On Self Test, so that's why I guessed PSU.

Did you know- PSU seems to be the #1 response on the Planet Battlefield Forums if anyone has a problem with the game. Usually more often than not it isn't, but this issue sounds like a PSU one to me.

Elveness

Thanks...I guess I'm gonna spend more $$$$ tomorrow to see if that is the case.
But, don't hesitate to give me some more possibilities.

A friendly word of advice though- don't jump to the conclusion that the PSU is dead based on what I say. I don't hesitate to admit that sometimes I'm wrong :eek: . But I think that might be it though because it looks like you haven't done anything wrong and all the other hardware doesn't seem to be causing it.

Wait for other more experienced people's opinions before spending your $$$. The only part I've had to replace due to failure in the last couple years is this video card that is supposedly going to be hand-delivered to my house next week and installed by Dell. But I've seen stranger things happening- like a CPU literally breaking and having it replaced for free by some nice Chinese guy named Tony who built my old computer 5 years back. That saved me a lot of $$$.

Elveness

Well, it won't hurt to try the power supply. I will make sure that I can return the supply if necessary. Surely, there will be some sales tomorrow....New Year's Day. Thanks

Elveness

My software is OK. But the disk drives and floppy will not work. The computer doesn't even post/boot far enough to pick up the drivers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online