1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

another cpu upgrade question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmorgan, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmorgan

jmorgan Thread Starter

Hey folks. I was reading dobermans thread about upgrading his cpu. I am thinking about doing the same thing. I have an old gateway G6-400. runs win 98se. has 256 mb ram(sdram). has original 10 gb HD and an additonal int. 30 gb HD that I installed. has an internal DVD-rom and ext. usb 2.0 cdrw.
    i've been looking on the net and saw a slot 1 cpu upgrade to 1.4 gz from evergreen technologies for $120. i can get an additional 256mb of sdram for $80. i was hoping that for around $200 i would get enough of a boost to the system that it would be viable for a few more years. i also want to use the machine to hook up a dvd burner so that i could convert old family vhs tapes to dvd and archive them before the deteriorate much further. or am i better off applying the $200 to a new pc?
    one other question. someone posted that the sdram would bottleneck the performance upgrade, could some one explain why? thanks for any help.

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

There is simply only one answer for this question. Save you money and apply it on a newer unit.

The concerns I have are as follows:

The Gateway platform has so many proprietary items that they are tough to upgrade.

As a rule, their power supplies are working right at the edge a good bit of the time, so as you add things, there is not enough power to run the items you are looking at.

The Evergreen chip while it will do the job will not suffice for the gains you are looking for.

Many times the cases (don't know about yours) for Gateway, again are proprietay, so not everything new fits in them.

Sdram will work but can not compete with DDR when it comes to speed.

A suggestion:

Why not take that 200 bucks and buy a nice case with a good power supply.

Take the money left from that (100 plus bucks or so) and buy a newer motherboard (about 50 or so) that accepts both the Sdram and the DDR memory. (There are several that accept either)

That way you can use your present memory until you get enough money to buy the DDR.

Buy a used CPU on Ebay for about 50 and you are in business.

Use your other items in thh new unit (cards, modem, etc) and you have a much faster unit for the same price you would have put into the old gateway.

Well, just my opinion anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/205206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice