Another "different" random lock-up post

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

genes1s

Comp Specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core
Motherboard: Foxconn NF-CK804
RAM: 2 gigs of Corsair Value Select Dual Channel
Chipset: running the Nvidia Nforce 4
Vid Card: 256MB GeForce 6800
HardDrive: 1 Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Sound: Using Onboard nForce audio codec interface
Misc: Case has a 420W psu, and 3 standard fans I added a 4th on top, the vid card has stock fan, the cpu has stock fan & heatsink. The RAM has no heatspreaders or sinks on it.

Problem:

I am currently using a custom built computer I've had for about 6 months. Over these 6 months I've had a problem (the only problem) with my computer locking up. It really hasn't been that random. It will occur occasionally, when I am manipulating more than 3 internet explorer windows at once. I may be in the middle of resizing the one window and it will do the normal lock up.. I may hear a repeating clicking sound in the speaker... the pointer freezes, hard drive doesn't spin and CTRL+ALT+DELETE doesn't work, so a cold reboot is required. I have steered away from manipulating that many explorer windows. It doesn't occur as often... however another cause has been computer games. I am a big gamer and play games that are very taxing on the hardware - Counter Strike:Source, BF2, Doom3, Splinter Cell etc. Maybe once every so often... more so in Call of Duty and BF2 would my game lock up and, after a reboot it would be fine to play again. Just recently, i purchased F.E.A.R.... this game is incredible to look at, really taxing on the hardware I'm sure, and over the last 4 days of playing the game it has locked up EVERY time i've played it. It installed easily, with DirectX 9c ... which i have heard some rumors about... and I played the first level, after the first level, things went wild, my computer locked up (Not severely, no really loud internal sounds or anything) at the load up screen twice after two reboots, once in the middle of the second level and again in the middle of playing it today. What really persuaded me to write this post was the message I got after the last lock-up... it said "Warning! change cpu frequency in setup, starting in safe mode" this was really strange, I am using a foxxconn mb and i have not overclocked anything... so i checked the cpu frequency in the bios, it read 200.0... the lowest it could go. So i exited and the computer started normally. So far I have not attempted to play again. This led me to think that maybe my CPU is overheating because of the game. I wanted to get a second oppinion before i go about buying a new fan for the cpu. Is something overheating? Is it my cpu? Any guesses?
BTW it is a stock fan and heatsink with thermal pad not paste on my cpu.

2 things come to mind...

1) Test your memory. there are a few memory testers out there.. I think the guys link memtest around here..

2) Heat.. check your temperatures in BIOS. Im un-familiar with that motherboard, but having temperatures in BIOS is pretty common nowadays.

Just by what youre saying, Id lean towards the memory.

Have you tried running with 1 stick of ram in it? Does it still lock up? If so, swap sticks and try again... still?

-Gonz

genes1s

Haha, I tried what you said gonzo. Shut my computer off, pulled out all 4 dimms. I thought it best to start with the last one. Put that last dimm in dimm 1 and left the rest sit. Tried to start the computer... and it wouldn't even start. Put in another dimm in the dimm 1 slot, the computer started and I haven't locked up since. Apparently i found a bad stick with the first try. Thanks for your help sir.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts