1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jetlag16, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jetlag16

jetlag16 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, been lurking for a while, but first time posting because I could use some help. I tried looking through other threads, but nothing seemed to help. I was downloading a game off of Steam, and my family computer just crashed. It apparently restarted itself, and presented that disk boot error message. Tried restarting again using ctrl+alt+del, and same situation occurs. I go into the BIOS screen, and try to use the auto detect to identify the drive, but it is not identified. All of the cables are working correctly, as I plugged a different drive into them and that drive booted fine. Btw, the hard drive is a western digital 5000AAKS.

I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+, 2412 MHz, 2 gb of ram, Windows Vista Home Basic. Its a Compaq SR5110NX. I'm not overclocking it or anything, just downloading a game, and then this happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hughv

Hughv

How did you get a second drive to boot? Did you reinstall?
    Is this drive making any noises? Can you see it in My Computer or disk Management when you boot from the other drive?
    These drives fail from time to time.

3. jetlag16

jetlag16 Thread Starter

Thanks Hughv,

As far as the first, I removed the defective drive, and inserted another functioning drive into the computer, which booted up fine. I tried to reinstall the hard drive with the reinstallation disk, and the computer did not recognized the hard drive.

No, the drive isn't making any noises at all. I tried booting it several times in the computer, and also tried adapting it into an external hard drive adapter. Again, the problem hard drive didn't boot, but a different one booted just fine. Any way I can fix this?

4. Hughv

Hughv

This certainly sounds like a dead drive. Is it spinning up?

5. jetlag16

jetlag16 Thread Starter

No, not at all. So no fix then?

6. Hughv

Hughv

No fix that's not way expensive.
    A valuable lesson about backup?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice