1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another DSL/Linksys problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dingus, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi folks,
    I'm setting up a wireless network, 4 PCs, I'm using a D-Link ADSL modem and a Linksys WRT54G router. My PCs have Belkin pci cards.
    Now for the problem, In order to use the router the documentation says the the router needs to be configured using a browser (Microsoft Explorer in my case) and use address http://192.168.0.1 but when I try this all I get is ' Page not available'. This should have allowed me into a config page.
    Any ideas folks?
    :(

2. GOTzMADsKILLz

GOTzMADsKILLz

The systems you have connected to the Router.... are they 98 or 2000/XP?

Try using winipcfg under RUN on Windows 98 or ipconfig /all under command prompt for XP/2K to see if your computer is getting an ip address from the Router on your network.

Haven't really used the wireless Router but I know with other Linksys products that the admin screens are defaulted to 192.168.1.1 usually. Also you could try resetting the Router using a pen and the little recessed button that resets the Router in the event something got messed up which will default all the settings. Could try that.

3. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

GOTzMADsKILLz thanks,
    Your correct about the IP address 192.168.0.1 I've reset the router and also checked the address with ipconfig, it reports the address as 0.0.0.0
    I've been told that the only way to setup a router for the first time is to use hardwire and once configered you can bin the hardwire connection for good.

4. GOTzMADsKILLz

GOTzMADsKILLz

I figured that too. Let us know how it goes. :)

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you see an IP address of 0.0.0.0, that indicates something is wrong with the specific PC configuration. If a properly installed NIC and TCP/IP stack can't find a DHCP server, it defaults to 169.254.x.x as an IP address.

6. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

OK guys back to let you know.

I did install a hardwire and guess what... It does need a wire first time. Unfortunatelt now comes the problem. After I confured the Linksys modem 192.168.1.1 I then changed the router to 192.168.1.2. Great I hear you say.............. NOPE
    Now I can't access either. Any ideas folks?

7. JohnWill

Explain about configuring the Linksys modem? :confused: I was under the impression that any DSL or cable modem did the IP assignment, not the other way around! I've installed dozens of cable and DSL installations, and I've never assigned the modem an IP address. Your router should be getting an IP address automatically from the modem, and I'd leave the router at the default address unless you have some reason to move it.

8. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Yes John most modems and routers will get an IP (thru DHCP) but with linksys stuff you have the option of configuring an IP address, which is what you need to do if you have a static IP. Static IP allows for remote admin.
    In my case I configured my router once and now for some reason it does'nt respond to it's address of 192.168.1.1 (Which is Linksys's standard config address) even after I do a factory reset.
    I'm wondering if my browser is causing the problem.

9. downtime

downtime

If you have a browser redirector stealing your home page, you won't be able to connect to a router, because you're redirected to that page, and it's not the router's address, soo....it would be a good idea to run adaware or spybot.

10. JohnWill

I'm not at all sure that you want to set the modem's address, doesn't the modem act as a DHCP server to assign an address to the attached device? I've never used the Linysys modem, but it's hard to believe it's so different from other DSL modems...

If you reset the DSL modem to factory defaults, and enable DHCP on your system, you should be connected. Also, resetting the router to factory defaults should get you connected to it in order to configure it.

I'm assuming the ADSL required a name/password, and probably PPPoE, so you'll have to configure that as well in the router.

11. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi John, An update and all.

I now have a Linksys modem/router (BEFDSR41W) and a wireless router (WRT54G) The reason for this set-up is:

Using the WRT54G I get 802.11G (54 Mbps), this is hard wired connected to the modem/router.

The factory address of both is 192.168.1.1, I therefore need to access one of them, with the other powered off, to give an address of 192.168.1.2 (WRT54G)
    Also I can't use DHCP for the modem as I have a static IP.

Now for the problem I have at the moment is that neither will let me get access so I can do any configuring at all. I've tried different PCs and also done a factory reset. STILL nowt.

HELP :(

I just thot of a question, does DHCP have to be enabled on my PC or is does it default to on.

12. JohnWill

Now it's clearer! You should have mentioned it was a modem/router, it makes a large difference!

First off, remove the wireless router for the moment, and get the modem/router configured and functional with a wired PC. That should be duck soup. :) While on the configuration page, take note of the DHCP server assignment range, we'll need that in a moment.

Next, connect the wireless router to a PC directly into one of the LAN ports after resetting it to factory defaults, and reboot the PC. Do NOT try to connect the router/modem to this rig at the moment. Enter it's configuration screen and set it's IP to 192.168.1.x, where x is an address that is NOT in the DHCP assignment range. Disable the DHCP server on the WRT54G, you won't be using it.

Now, connect the router/modem to the PC, plug a LAN port on the WRT54G into the router/modem, using either a crossover cable or an uplink port. Do NOT plug anything into the WAN port on the WRT54G, it's unused in this configuration.

13. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

John thanks mate all is working now, many thanks.

:D :D

I do have one little hickup. I can access the config page OK using cable but my modem does'nt allow this using wireless.
    Is this standard or should there be an option that will give me wireless access?

14. JohnWill

It's easier to solve problems when you know all the facts. :D

Not being able to access the page through the wireless is a security measure. Some routers have an option for remote management which "may" allow you to access it that way, I've never really tried. :)

15. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks again John, when your not an expert it's hard to know what facts are all needed. Be patient with us dumbies.:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice