1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another Excel Question - Help Please

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kammmie, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

If I have 10 worksheets in a workbook and I only want to save the first worksheet how would I do that ? Is their a way or would I have to link the information ? Could someone tell me what to do please ?

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

not sure what you have or want to do

1. separate sheets, no links between them
    - right click on each sheet tab and delete - long and tedious method OR
    - right click on sheet you want to save, copy or move to new book, save the new book

2. sheets are linked, final/results sheet to be saved separately

- right click on sheet you want to save, copy or move to new book, save the new book
    - when you open it, it will ask if you want to open the linked sheet also for update, changes

- changes need to be made on the source sheet to show up on the final/results sheet

3. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

The first sheet is designed to pull information off the 9 other sheets ... the other 9 sheets have tables, etc.

In the end, only the first sheet needs to be saved once information is entered on it. I want to see if their is a way just to save that sheet. Did I explain it better ?

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

2 scenarios

static (use once, no updating) vs dynamic (always adding info to sheets 2-10, but want a "picture" of sheet 1)

- right click on sheet 1, copy, place before sheet 1 (you'll get a copy_sheet 1 name)
    - highlight the sheet (grey cell, 0,0 left of a and above 1)
    - copy
    - paste special - values
    - (you may need to paste special - format also)

now you have a copy_sheet 1 which has all your results but is no longer linked to sheets 2-10

- right click on copy_sheet 1, copy or move to new book, save the new book
    - delete the old book if need be.

or you can save the whole thing, keep updating data, then repeat the copy sheet, copy/paste special routine to get a static sheet for printing etc

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Click on the TAB of the first unwanted sheet.

Holding your ctrl key down, click on each tab of all the unwanted sheets.

When all the sheets you want to delete have white-background tabs, let go of the shift key.

From the menu, choose Edit-Delete sheet.

Hope it helps.

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

oh yeah, keyboard/mouse commands
    forgot about those, usually using the left hand to drink coffee LOL

they work fast - but still not sure if kammmie is using linked sheets or not to get his/her results into sheet 1 and needs the sheet references

7. Kammmie

Kammmie Thread Starter

The sheets do contain information that links back into the first worksheet. How would I go about sheet references ??

8. jbcalg

jbcalg

kammie

to keep the sheet references, do nothing, they are there and will stay there until you change something. the cell references are made automatically when you copy cells from one worksheet and place them in another.

if you want a 'static' (reference removed) sheet, then:
    refer to my earlier post headed by 2 scenarios where i describe how you can add a static sheet to your workbook and then leave it in the workbook, or copy it to a new workbook.

basically you copy the sheet, then use the paste special, values command to remove the references, leaving the values only.

9. Rockn

Rockn

You could link the first one to an external worksheet.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice