1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another External Harddrive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clumsy_KaZ, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Clumsy_KaZ

Clumsy_KaZ Thread Starter

Hey All

As you can see this is my first post on this forum and my username basically is self explanatory. So in keeping with this thought i have to say that i recently brought a Maxtor 3200 400 GB external harddrive from Maplins. I used it for about a month and backed up all my data onto it. I then went on holiday for 3 weeks and came back and used the harddrive for about a week. Just yesterday i was using it and my feet got caught up in the usb wire as i went to answer the door and the external hard drive fell dropping about 60cms roughly an the wire fell straight out. Not a good thing. After that i plugged it back in and tried using it but my laptop does not detect anything. Ive checked in my computer and checked the devices manager in the properties and nothing i even disconnected the external harddrive and rebooted the laptop and nothing not even a "usb device has been connected message". The thing is the USB wire that connects into the external hard drive is very loose. If you go to plug the USB wire into the external hardrive it feels very loose. Im scared now because ive backed up virtualy everything onto my hard drive - my university work,holiday pictures, music etc. so any help would be very appreciated.

With that in mind here are my questions:
    * Is there any way of recovering data from the hard drive without opening it or taking it to a technician?

*Does anyone think Maplin may be able to help me with this situation or do you think because its out of the 30 day return policy they wouldnt care?

*The external harddrive is still under warranty do you think it might be worth giving them a ring to see what they say?

The problem that i am faced with is that I dropped it which means im worried that both maxtor warranty technicians and Maplin staff wont want to help as they will say its broken due to negligence. As i said it has some VERY important stuff on there and really need it.

Please help and excuse me for my stupidness.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does it make any noise? Does the case look like you could open it to remove the drive and connect it internally to your PC?

3. briealeida

briealeida

Do you have the data stored elsewhere (a true back-up)? When you call, try to smooth talk your way around the fact that you dropped it.

If your machine won't recognize it, you're kinda stuck, I think.

You said the cable is loose, are you sure you're putting it in the right way? Are the pins (or whatever) crooked?

4. Clumsy_KaZ

I dont want to open it becuase there is a sticker (saying warranty void if broken) so i think it would be better if i could get fixed by them.

Windows is not picking it up at all...NOTHING. The wire feels loose like wobbly loose where the usb wire connects to the external harddrive. Im really worried because i didnt back up alot of stuff because i brought the external harddrive as back up. Now ive lost nearly all my work.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have to decide which is more important, the warranty or the data. Truthfully, you have probably voided the warranty by dropping it, since the shock sensor in the drive will surely let them know it was dropped. Also, if the drive died in the fall, and not just the enclosure, you're very unlikely to recover any data anyway.

6. Clumsy_KaZ

Thx JohnWill i didnt think of it like that. I might as well open it.

7. Azelino

Azelino

I dropped my harddrive aswell if u take it to your ear and listen closely does it have a kinda "squeaky pop sound?" if it does then you'r scred ur data is lost and you need to exchange it or leave it at a teach guy.. thats why i have all my backup on a internal disk now =)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice