Another kind of Office

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

spicefamily

Hi

Has anyone heard of Thinkfree Office? If so how is it? Can i use my Office XP files with Thinkfree? I could buy Office XP if I have too, but it so expensive.

I'm cleaning my system out and I don't have Office XP. My sister gave me another kind of Office. I need to know if it's good or not.

Thx:eek:

ya i use openoffice here works great it can use alot of ram is only thing sence it uses java.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I second the recommendation for OpenOffice, I think that's the cream of the crop of free office suites.

I just took a look at the Web site for Thinkfree Office. On the site it says that it is a cross-platform office suite which is programmed in Java. By what I have read, it sounds like OpenOffice, but with a price tag. I'm a big fan of OpenOffice, and I recommend it to anyone who wants a really good office software. The more I use it the more I love it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
No reason to buy an office suite when there's an excellent one available for free. :)

spicefamily

:rolleyes: Thx fo the infor and positive response.

Is my Xp Word capible to Thinkfree Office?

Thx:p

Can you please explain what you mean by "Is my Xp Word capible to Thinkfree Office"?

What functions do you require from an office suite?
Apparantly you now have Microsoft Word according to the above, whereas originally you suggested you do not have it.

I have never heard of anyone using ThinkFree Office, simply for the reasons given above, if an alternative that is known to be compatable with MS Office and is free then why would you buy another alternative.

If on the other hand you already have ThinkFree Office, you can answer your own questions simply by loading it and using it to see how compatable it is?

spicefamily

Hi

I have Office XP installed in my system, but I do not have the disks. My computer isn't working well. The Tech is telling me that I should erase everything and start over. So this is why I'm asking about Thinkfree Office, I may get away with not buying a $200 Microsoft program.

Now I ask again, is Thinkfree Office capatible to Microsoft Office?:p

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Just use OpenOffice. Everyone here has recommeded it. It is basically the MAJOR competitor to Microsoft Office right now.

Why do you keep pushing this ThinkFree office when everyone is telling you to use OpenOffice.

One additional thought; like the others, I recommend Open Office- Think Office may be a commercial distribution of Open Office (totally legal under Open Office's license to package, adapt, sell, give away, etc.) The thought I would add is that the web-site gives you the latest version--- whereas the disk your sister gave you may be an older version.

Here's the link-- it is a great product and generally very compatible to M$Office:
http://www.openoffice.org/

And you can give as many copies as you would like--- to all your friends (totally legally)
letchworth

From what I read on the Thinkfree Office site earlier this afternoon, it will work with Micro$oft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word (.xls, .ppt, and .doc respectively) formats, however depending on the version which was given to you the newer version of M$ Office may not be supported. To reiterate what letchworth said, you can always download (freely) the most recent version of OpenOffice at the link provided.

One bit of advice, whether you decide to use Thinkfree Office or OpenOffice, is to make sure that when you save your documents which you create in the particular products, you must use the drop-down box labeled "Save As Type" and select the Microsoft format which you would like. I have checked this in OpenOffice 2.0 (latest) and it does support Microsoft Office XP formats. I've been quite impressed with all that OpenOffice has to offer, but I have never tried Thinkfree Office.

Hope I've been of some help.

Take care.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can also configure OpenOffice to automatically use Microsoft compatible formats unless you override it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online