1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another new guys question about an old computer.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kilowatt150, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kilowatt150

kilowatt150 Thread Starter

I am trying to get this old IBM Pentium running Win 95 to operate normally. Was used in a book store and has in-house software with password and pass-name etc. required to get it up and running. Of course I don't have that info so I'm trying to bypass the program by making a boot disk by using "format A:\s" and I can boot it up and get into safe mode, but it only accesses the drives through dos.

I was going to try to edit the autoexec.bat file to get it to bypass the startup program. But, it does nothing when I type in edit c:\autoexec.bat, the edit won't come up. Tried going into the windows folder and running windows from there but it wants to scandisk and needs the himem file and won't start. :confused:

thanks for any help

2. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned

Try booting into Safe Mode and deleting any .pwl files. The click OK and restart. It should get you into Windows.

Also, are you trying to reformat the hard drive and start all over again, or are you trying to reinstall Windows? :confused:

BTW, the correct command to create a boot floppy on DOS is:

format a: /s

and to get into SAFE MODE from DOS you hold down the F8 key while rebooting..

3. kilowatt150

Thanks for your help. I don't see any .pwl files on the root dir. I suppose I might have to reinstall windows but I was hoping to use existing windows program and just eliminate or shut down the in-house software first to allow access, then go from there. Ultimately, I'll just clean it all up for resale for a few bucks.

4. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned

Did you try going to Start>Find and entering

.pwl

That should have given you any windows passwords. Just delete them.

But if you want to reformat it, why can't you simply go to DOS and type:

Format C: :confused:

If I understand your problem correctly, you aren't able to boot to Windows because you need a password. IF this is correct, then delete the .pwl files.

Altering your autoexec.bat and config.sys files won't make any difference. They are for altering startup programs that prevent you from booting up, not
    passwords. Autoexec.bat and config.sys won't have any effect on passwords.

5. kilowatt150

Thanks for the reply again!

Where would the .pwl file lie? They are none on the root directory, the password is in the program written for the book store. The program starts up when I change directories to c:\windows and type win. Thats why I thought if I could change the direction of the boot up to the program by not allowing the book program to start I could get it to come up to a windows desktop.

Also,This box doesn't have a cd drive. I don't have Windows 95 or 98 on a 3.5 inch floppy either. I only have windows on cd. This is another reason I was trying to work with what I have.

Problems....Problems....Problems​
    Thanks!
    bill :confused:

6. kilowatt150

After looking around and reading some of the complex problems you folks have repaired, I think maybe I should have estimated my experience level at a level below... rather than at.. Intermediate. I've love computers for a long time but have not spent much time solving problems on them for the last 10-15 years. More time has been on line with tech help when needed. Frankly however, I don't understand Indian speak that well, no disparaging remark intended. I work on a Dell Dimension 8300 that i really like even though the %$*@ drive crashed and I lost all my pics and music. My fault though for inadequate back up.

Anyway my sincere thanks to you for your help and I will probably be hounding you all...forever. Can you contribute to the site via Paypal?
    thanks
    Bill

7. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned

If its a password written by another program you may have to contact the manufacturer of the program to get your password. PWL files are password files written by Windows only.

Sorry,
    HULK :eek:

8. kilowatt150

Well I cant get the information on the manufacturer, so would you recommend reformatting drive, or buy new drive, and purchase and install cd drive and windows 98. Or just where would you go from here. Toss it in the dumpster?
    Thanks

9. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    The Windows .pwl files won't stop you from getting into Windows, all you need to do is click on Cancel and you're in, so I'm going to guess it's a password that's written into a third party program and not the Windows password.

So if you can get to a DOS prompt and the programs loading from the Startup folder (it could load from other places like the registry), you should be able to disable it by deleting the shortcut from the folder. I don't have a W95/98/ME PC any longer so I'm not quite sure of the exact path to the Startup folder. Hopefully someone with a W95/98 or ME PC will post the path. In the meantime, if my memory serves me correctly, try the command below from a prompt and see if it shows you any files listed on the screen.

dir c:\windows\programs\startm~1\startup

10. kilowatt150

Thank you for your help.

It is definately third party software, and I would like to run window but not startup the third party software program.

As you suggested.

I got to the c:\windows\startm~1\programs sub directory.

There is no c:\windows\programs\startm~1\startup as you said.

Anyway looking in the c:\windows\startm~1\programs there is a "startup" dir but I don't see any files other than the dot and double dot files (forgot the term.)

Should I delete or rename this folder? (startup) Could the files be there but not visible to me?

Thanks

11. elaich

elaich

Why are you trying to use such an old computer to begin with? Honest question.

Simply format and reinstall Windows 95. Believe me, I'd be running it right now if it supported USB. Ultimate simplicity.

12. kilowatt150

13. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If you can get in through SafeMode, you should be able to edit the registry and stop the program from loading or delete it from the Startup folder if it is beng loaded from there.

Start>Run, key in regedit and press enter

Now navigate to both of these below and check in "Run" for the program. If you find it, delete it from "Run"

hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

If you don't see it in the registry, find the Startup folder and check there ...

14. kilowatt150

15. delldude

delldude

Hi KW.

I think the simplest solution for you would be either to reformat the whole thing... I think the end result would be exactly what you want... a comp that the kids can use... or find that link in the startup folder and deffuse it. But go for the first option, coz if you arent too comfortable editing the registry... you might mess it up more...

It is a 3rd party s/w, and you really should not try and modify it.

Good luck!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice