Another new guys question about an old computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bryan

Bryan
If you think it's loading from autoexec.bat, boot to a Windows Boot Diskette and then just rename autoexec.bat to autoexec.old

ren c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.old

You don't need autoexec.bat to start Windows

If you need to make a boot diskette, goto the link below, download the W98 OEM file, boot98.exe to the hard drive of a functioning PC. Insert a blank diskette and execute the program to create a boot diskette. Then insert it in the W95 PC and boot to it

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

kilowatt150

delldude said:
Hi KW.

I think the simplest solution for you would be either to reformat the whole thing... I think the end result would be exactly what you want... a comp that the kids can use... or find that link in the startup folder and deffuse it.

It is a 3rd party s/w, and you really should not try and modify it.

Good luck!

Hi Delldude, I would have tried that already, but I don't have win 95 and this box has no cd drive. I was just trying to get it to run the simplest way possible and would prefer to eliminate the 3P software entirely. If i could modify something just to get it running on windows I would be delighted. If not I guess I will have to format and re-install and OS like 98 on a 3.5 floppy or both and or buy a decent used cd drive. I didn't want to spend money on it tho.. ha.
Thanks bill

kilowatt150

Bryan said:
If you think it's loading from autoexec.bat, boot to a Windows Boot Diskette and then just rename autoexec.bat to autoexec.old

ren c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.old

You don't need autoexec.bat to start Windows

If you need to make a boot diskette, goto the link below, download the W98 OEM file, boot98.exe to the hard drive of a functioning PC. Insert a blank diskette and execute the program to create a boot diskette. Then insert it in the W95 PC and boot to it

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
I went to your site, (thank you!) & d/led the win 95 boot #2 Vers.#1, disk since that is what it originally ran (not sure about the versions). I tried to execute the program from my desktop but nothing happened. Copied to the floppy and tried to Ex. nothing again. Put the floppy into the old computer and it booted up to an A: prompt. I then looked at the files on the floppy disk and it showed (command.com and boot95b.exe). Then tried to execute the boot95 and it replied "program will not run in dos mode"
thanks but
sill :confused:

Bryan

Bryan
It doesn't matter that it's running W95 ..... download Boot98.exe, it's the link that reads "Windows 98 OEM" ... I just downloaded it and created the boot diskette to test it, so I know it works

And you can't just copy the file to a diskette. You need to download boot98.exe to the hard drive, then insert a blank diskette, then double left click on the boot98.exe and it will create the boot diskette but you need to be doing it on a functioning PC.

kilowatt150

Bryan said:
It doesn't matter that it's running W95 ..... download Boot98.exe, it's the link that reads "Windows 98 OEM" ... I just downloaded it and created the boot diskette to test it, so I know it works

And you can't just copy the file to a diskette. You need to download boot98.exe to the hard drive, then insert a blank diskette, then double left click on the boot98.exe and it will create the boot diskette but you need to be doing it on a functioning PC.
Great!
I d/led and installed to the floppy and rebooted in the old computer. Installed and eventually came up "the diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive E:, to get help type help and press enter". Then it came up the the a: prompt.

I then copied the a:\autoexec.bat to c:\ after renaming the existing autoexec.bat to autoexec.bak. I then popped the disk and rebooted. it cam back:
bad command or file name
Path not found - :\command.com
file not found - :\extract.exe
file not found - :\readme.txt

Then: Please install Windows 98 Startup Disk #2 (which I don't have)

Do I need to copy all the files from the boot disk that i made?

thanks

Thanks I think you're on to something.
(y)

Bryan

Bryan
Why did you copy autoexec.bat from the floppy to the harddrive? You don't need an autoexec.bat file to run Windows ...

Boot back to the floppy and do this

ren c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.123

Leave everything else as is, remove the floppy and restart the PC.

kilowatt150

Bryan said:
Why did you copy autoexec.bat from the floppy to the harddrive? You don't need an autoexec.bat file to run Windows ...

Boot back to the floppy and do this

ren c:\autoexec.bat autoexec.123

Leave everything else as is, remove the floppy and restart the PC.
I changed the autoexec.bat to try to stop the 3rd party bookstore software from starting up.

I did all the above and now I am back to square one. Windows starts but takes me directly to the 3p program asking for Logon and Password.

How can I stop this from loading?

Bryan

Bryan
To be honest with you, at this point my advice would be to get a CDRom drive for the PC, format the drive and install a clean install of Windows. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

kilowatt150

Bryan said:
To be honest with you, at this point my advice would be to get a CDRom drive for the PC, format the drive and install a clean install of Windows. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Thats not a problem, thank you for trying. I can probably pick up a cdrom cheap on ebay or at the Salvation Army that will work. I'll need to reinstall windows... Would you opt for 98 or something else?
Thanks very much.
Bill :)

Howdy folks...

kilowatt150...

Let's try this...

boot with the floppy, at the A:\> type in c: then hit enter, at the C:\> type in edit autoexec.bat, hit enter, and see if you can see where the 3rd party program is loading, if you see it place a rem statement in front of the line then save and exit the MS DOS editor...

the line should look something like this...

rem 3rd party software

Where 3rd party software is the software that is loading...

kilowatt150

Jedi_Master said:
Howdy folks...

kilowatt150...

Let's try this...

boot with the floppy, at the A:\> type in c: then hit enter, at the C:\> type in edit autoexec.bat, hit enter, and see if you can see where the 3rd party program is loading, if you see it place a rem statement in front of the line then save and exit the MS DOS editor...

the line should look something like this...

rem 3rd party software

Where 3rd party software is the software that is loading...
Thanks Jedi,
I modified the line in the autoexec.bat which I thought included the 3p software. But it had little effect on the sequence of events. It still took me directly to the login page. It looks like windows 95 starts an then the program begins. Does that mean that changing the autoexec.bat would not alter the execution of the 3p program?
this is what it looks like to me now.
I am open to any suggestions from here. Thanks very much.
Bill

Bryan

Bryan
I had you eliminate the autoexec.bat file by renaming it to autoexec.123 there by leaving you with no autoexec.bat file which is fine because you don't need one to start Windows. At least that's what I suggested you do, so it can't be in the autoexec.bat if you followed my advice and iot still prompted you at startup.

My guess is it's loading from the registry. You could try restoring the registry to the one's that's created when W95 is very first installed. Boot to the Windows boot diskette and at the a:\> prompt, key in each command and press enter after each. I'm pretty sure these command exist on a boot diskette. If not, boot to the boot menu and take the option for "Command Prompt Only" and try them from there to start. If any of the commands fail, you need to stop and not go any further and let us know. Each one needs to complete normally before you do the next one or it's not going to work and you'll end up with a bigger mess if you start keying them in and mixing them up.

cd c:\windows
attrib -s -h -r system.dat
ren system.dat system.xxx
cd \
attrib -s -h -r system.1st
copy system.1st c:\windows\system.dat
attrib +s +h +r system.1st

Remove the boot diskette and press alt/ctrl/del to restart the PC and see what happens

kilowatt150

Bryan said:
I had you eliminate the autoexec.bat file by renaming it to autoexec.123 there by leaving you with no autoexec.bat file which is fine because you don't need one to start Windows. At least that's what I suggested you do, so it can't be in the autoexec.bat if you followed my advice and iot still prompted you at startup.

My guess is it's loading from the registry. You could try restoring the registry to the one's that's created when W95 is very first installed. Boot to the Windows boot diskette and at the a:\> prompt, key in each command and press enter after each. I'm pretty sure these command exist on a boot diskette. If not, boot to the boot menu and take the option for "Command Prompt Only" and try them from there to start. If any of the commands fail, you need to stop and not go any further and let us know. Each one needs to complete normally before you do the next one or it's not going to work and you'll end up with a bigger mess if you start keying them in and mixing them up.

cd c:\windows
attrib -s -h -r system.dat
ren system.dat system.xxx
cd \
attrib -s -h -r system.1st
copy system.1st c:\windows\system.dat
attrib +s +h +r system.1st

Remove the boot diskette and press alt/ctrl/del to restart the PC and see what happens
Byran thank you for you advise. I complete all the above, rebooted and it actually looked like windows was going to complete installation, starting with scandisk. It did not go into the 3p software asking for logon and password. It did go to the windows password where I just entered twice to bypass. Then it hung up on "checking to see if there are any plug and play hardware" and kept flashing the mouse pointer back and forth between the hourglass and pointer. I don't have a mouse hooked up but I think that should not be a problem, IMHO.

I tried rebooting again and it stopped at "The file 82557NDI.DLL could not be found, setup cannot find the specific network path. If path appears below make sure it is correct. Click ok to try copying again."

I am not sure if I should copy this file. (\\BCD9952\WIN95CD.IBM\WIN95) is the exact file in the window. I will await your advice before making another move. thanks so much Bill (y)

Bryan

Bryan
Doubt this will do any good but try it.

On the logon box that says Network Logon, click Cancel. The logon box that says Windows Logon, enter a username, any name is fine, leave the password box blanks and click on OK.

See what happens. The error message is related to a network card.

If it still doesn't start in Normal Mode, see if you can get into SafeMode and let us know.

BTW, you don't have a mouse ???? And I'll be honest, without a CD drive, I doubt you're going to get it going. Even if W95 does start, you're going to need a CD drive to load things from the W95 CD you said you have..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online