Another new guys question about an old computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kilowatt150

Well I guess the best thing to do is give up and reformat the entire hard drive. I have purchased a cd rom to install, but I don't have the OS. I am looking on ebay to find a cheap buy on Windows 95, (never thought I'd be buying that again). Ive got an unused upgrade to W98 I may use later.

My question now is, is there a way that I can save my drivers just working at the C: prompt? Does format c:/s do any good towards that?

Bryan

Bryan
You're not going to be able to do that, you just need to format, reinstall and then deal with the drivers. You can at the very least go into DeviceManager and write down the exact make and model numbers of the Sound, Video, Modem and NIC cards though.

Bryan

Bryan
BTW, when you do install W95 if that's what you end up doing, be sure to use the W98 boot diskette. It will hopefully give you CDRom support to install W95. The W95 boot diskettes won't do that and when you format the drive, don't use the /s switch. Just do a ....

format c:

kilowatt150

Bryan said:
BTW, when you do install W95 if that's what you end up doing, be sure to use the W98 boot diskette. It will hopefully give you CDRom support to install W95. The W95 boot diskettes won't do that and when you format the drive, don't use the /s switch. Just do a ....

format c:
Just got a copy of Windows 95 to re-format with, and I've bought a used cd rom (8 speed) that I've installed but don't have any manual etc. It came with an IDE cable that doesn't match up to the cdrom slot nor type of cable off of the hard drive. The CD rom has the type hook up that has a large key in the center of the cable. I plugged everything in and turned on the computer, the power light comes on but nothing else happens. No lights on the cd rom, no monitor, no hard drive at this point.

I went back and unhooked the cd rom power and cable, it all boots up to the floppy as it should. (which does have cd rom support BTW). There is a small 4 conductor wire from the cd rom with a small female connector also that I can't find a place to plug in, It says something about the audio on the back of the cd rom. I figured this would not stop it from firing off tho..

Am I supposed to connect the cd rom in line with the hard drive cable or should it be on it's own cable? If it has to have it's own, I will need to find one with the key in the center. :confused:

One more question, sorry. You said I could go into the device manager, can I access that through dos?

Bryan

Bryan
It sounds like you don't have the correct cable, just buy a standard IDE cable and you should be fine. To make your life easier, there should be a second IDE connector on the motherboard right next to the one the harddrives plugged into. Just plug the CDRom into it and make sure the jumper on the CDRom drive is set to Master.

And no, you can't access DeviceManager through DOS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online