1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ANOTHER overheating issue....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aggy, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aggy

Aggy Thread Starter

Like the other thread, "overheating issue", I too am overheating more than I should but am unsure if the arctic silver is the way to go. I've got an ABIT NF7 which I suspect, but am not sure, the heatsink wasn't ever sized correctly in the first place. I'm running about 55-58 but only after I take off the fan and clean the dust from the fins. There is another little fan on the board I take off and oil its shaft. Couple months later it creeps over 60 and I have to do it all over again. It's been this way since I got it but it seems to be getting worse; right now I am maintaining 55 by keeping the case open and a room fan blowing directly into it. I never had to do this for any other computer I've ever owned and just don't think this is right. It's not like my house is any dustier than average.

Should I fool with the arctic silver or would it be better to just get another heatsink? I don't know much about computers and am not sure how to find and size a new heatsink.

Aggy

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What are the rest of your computer specs. Includung Processor, Ram, video, etc. That helps us look for and recommend replacements.

3. Jones

Jones

Well, first thing is you should never 'oil' any pieces of your computer. If the fan is noisy or not operating properly, just replace it. They are inexpensive, and easy to switch.

Next, are you saying that there is no thermal compound at all between your heatsink and your processor?? If so, BUY SOME ARCTIC SILVER 5 RIGHT NOW!!

It is by far the best heat-transfer compound you can get. Most people will even replace the stock thermal pad or paste that comes with a new heatsink, and use AC5 instead.

Of course, a better heatsink and fan combo for your processor is never a bad idea, but it may be unnecessary.

4. Aggy

Aggy Thread Starter

Well, this is embarrassing... I know little about my own computer. My daughter's boyfriend built it for me, and one for her at the same time. Here is the order for the parts:

Item List
    CPU FAN AMD/INT|DC1206BM-L610-T RT (Qty=1,Price=5.49)
    POWER SUPPLY SPARKLE ATX-350GU% (Qty=2,Price=50.00)
    CD ROM52X|SAMSUNG SC152GEB% (Qty=1,Price=15.00)
    CDRW/DVD COMBO52X32X52X16|LITEON B% (Qty=1,Price=49.00)
    VGA CHTECH FX5200 LA-FX20-H 128M RT (Qty=2,Price=120.00)
    MB nForce2|5P1A4D NF7 ABIT 8X ATX R (Qty=2,Price=150.00)
    FD 1.44MB|SONY MPF920 Black % (Qty=1,Price=9.00)
    HD 120GB|MAXTOR 6Y120P0 72R 8MB% (Qty=2,Price=195.00)
    CPU MOBILE AMD|2400+/266 ATHLON XP% (Qty=2,Price=156.00)
    CD MS|WINDOWS XP PRO w/SP1a % (Qty=2,Price=276.00)
    DDRAM 512M|PC-3200 991093 MUSHKIN R (Qty=2,Price=180.00)
    MNTR VWSNC|17" CRT E70FB BLACK (Qty=1,Price=125.00)
    CASE CHIEF|CX-01B-B-W BLK/WHT 0W (Qty=1,Price=50.00)

I see the RAM in there, but I don't know which is the processor, and I think the VGA is the video card? Does this tell you what you need?

Aggy

5. Aggy

Aggy Thread Starter

My daughter's boyfriend was the one who told me to do that. :)

Well I doubt he put arctic silver between them when he set it up. I don't recall seeing anything like that. I'll ask him though, but it does sound like a good heat transfer compound and if he'd used it I doubt I'd be having this problem.

Aggy

6. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Your daughter's boyfriend told you to oil your shaft? :eek:
    That's a bit personal.......

(Not a particularly good idea though as Jones already stated)

There are some decent basic instructions on - "contemporary thermal compound application technique" - at the Arctic website itself:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

(Your processor is closest to the first one in section 3)

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

The ABIT site says that the NF7 board is a socket A board. All of the coolers listed here;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...94418667+1057708562&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=62

are socket A coolers. Since the fan dimensions vary, you should measure the existing cooler fan and heatsink to make sure a replacement unit will not conflict with any wiring, etc.

I would highly suggest that you buy a copper cored cooler rather than a solid aluminum cooler since the copper core dissipates heat much better.

8. Aggy

Aggy Thread Starter

Thank you everybody. This is exactly the information I need! I think I can do this! I will update you. And Rumpo-Stiltskin, yes, he told me to use gun oil. It seems to have worked fine and not hurt anything. But I didn't see why I should have to do it. I've had computers before that I never once opened the case, and they ran for years without any problems. Why should I have to fool with this brand new one? On the plus side, it has run very well in every other respect, and he gives me free software advice and even networked our house. All of that has been working great.

I'm not too bad with the software end for the typical home PC user, but haven't spent much time with the hardware. I appreciate all the advice.

Aggy

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice