Another PC to TV Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Millionaire8

OK, OK, I've searched the forums and found this thread answered many times, but I don't think I found the same answer twice. So...

Here's what I want to do:

I currently have a SONY VGC-RB42G with MS Media Center Edition and would like to watch what I record using MCE on my TV instead of on my monitor...but...I would also like to surf the web using the TV. I've seen that text viewing isn't that great, but can that be fixed by getting a better card? If there is a card that shows text well, I'll settle for something that shows the TV very clearly.

I currently have the video card that came with the computer. It is an:
Intel (R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (whatever that is...I don't even know if that's the card). Anyway, it doesn't have video outputs, so I'll need a new one.

I know I need a video card with an S-VIDEO output since that's the TV input I'll be using. I'll be using a 27" flat screen TV for the monitor.

The expansion slot I have is a PCI slot, so I guess I'd get a PCI Express card.

As for audio out...I don't know. I read something about a combo cable that hooks from line out to the TV RCA inputs.

Sorry for the long dissertation, but I wanted to get out all the information that may help. If there is any more info I may need to give, let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Harry

is it PCI or PCIe slot, PCIe wont fit in a PCI slot, and i doubt a Media Center comp would have a PCIe slot.

Millionaire8

According to my Sony specifications sheet the expansions slots are two:
an x1 PCI Express slot and an x16 PCI Express slot.

Thanks again.
Harry

I'm using a GeForce 6600GT and outputting to my TV via component output. The great advantage there is I get to use HD signals on my tv for MCE. For you, svideo will have to do, and won't look bad for playing movies or using MCE, but you won't like surfing the web.

If you feel your comp can do a PCIe card (which, from what I've seen, briefly, it can) go and get an nvidia or ati card. You'll like it's performance (yes it can improve playback in MCE) and all of them seem to have video out options. just set it up and let windows recognize the connection and then open MCE, make sure it's in window mode and drag it to your other monitor then full-screen it there. it will always stay there as long as windows recognizes you have a tv connected or until you move it again. :)

As for audio, I went with a turtle beach santa cruz card and outputted to my surround sound via the SPDIF output. It works great. You can get a cable, as well, that splits your stereo miniplug from you sound card to two rca ends to connect to your stereo if you so wish.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online