Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Power Supply Question

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  compilerxp 
#1 ·
Kind of along the lines of my first question but I would like to know if a mobo comes with a connection for both AT and ATX power supply if you switch the kind of power supply (in this case an ATX from an AT) and dont move the jumper on the mobo to acommodate this will it blow the mobo?
The motherboard is a

1st Mainboard VA 503+

Thanks,
Sean

#2 ·
The motherboard you listed is only a AT motherboard. Only an AT power supply can be attached to this motherboard. An ATX PSU has different connector than an AT and wont work.

An AT PSU should have two connectors to attach to the motherboard. One rule of thumb is to always make sure when you connect the power connectors. That the black wires are next to each other. Otherwise you risk the chance of toasting the motherboard.

To answer your question about motherboards having both connectors for the PSU. Yes there were boards that supported both PSU connections. I would have to say those boards came out between the transition of AT and ATX.

As for a jumper setting between AT and ATX. I dont recall one, plus im going back quite a few years and the minds running a blank.

Maybe someone else can remember and help you with this one.

I hope this helps!

Rockinmale:cool:

#3 ·
Nope... wont work... locate AT PSU. Or replace system.

Try google search... AT powersupplys are very rare, try CompUSA or Frys if they have some in "just in case".

#4 ·
Yes you can use a ATX PSU with this board I have two of them and it has both connectors, however you can only use one at a time not both, there is a jumper to set (AT by default), and a couple of settings in BIOS for Power management. I where you I would stick with the AT PSU and when that goes get a different case with an ATX PSU because the Power switch for an AT PSU is actually a switch connected to the PSU, where as the Soft off power button for an ATX PSU is just a momentary contact connected to the motherboard.

#5 ·
this mobo does have both connectors and the reason I ask is the owner of this computer had an AT PS. It just started smoking last week so he bought a new one which they sold him an ATX. He put it in but didnt move the jumper to ATX. Would that burnout the mobo? I get a brief blip in power...meaning the fan turns about 1 revolution and the power light come on but nothing else

Thanks

#6 ·
Need to have a soft-power button attached to the board.

AT power supplies are switched on and off with the switching directly to the PSU from the button (front of case).

ATX PSUs are powered up when the motherboard tells it to. The power button is wired to the motherboard, hence ATX system can turn themselves ON or OFF, automaticlly if you want it to.

You need to wire up a power button to the motherboard.

#7 ·
Have you changed the jumper now? Its possible that the old powersupply took out the board when it went or the new did because of improper installation. Also with an ATX powersupply you need to install a new powerswitch for teh computer since the powersupply no longer has the switch attached to it anymore. There should be a row of pins where the lights connect to; two of those will be for the switch. You can use something like a screw driver to short the two pins for a second to start the computer without a switch connected.

You may also want to clear the CMOS using the CLEAR CMOS jumper or by removing the battery for a few seconds.

If you could get your hands on an AT powersupply that would be the best.

#9 ·
Originally posted by pronute:
Yes you can use a ATX PSU with this board I have two of them and it has both connectors, however you can only use one at a time not both, there is a jumper to set (AT by default), and a couple of settings in BIOS for Power management. I where you I would stick with the AT PSU and when that goes get a different case with an ATX PSU because the Power switch for an AT PSU is actually a switch connected to the PSU, where as the Soft off power button for an ATX PSU is just a momentary contact connected to the motherboard.
Like I already stated you need a momentary contact connected to the motherboard front panle connector. Did you do that, the power switch on the back of the ATX PSU is for the tuning off and on the 115AC power source and does not power up the unit. that small "blip" of power is a 5V DC power stand by, and can not power the unit without an power on option.

#10 ·
The new switch is much smaller then the old one. It connects to 2 pins in the row of pins where the lights connect to the motherboard. It may be labelled something like SW or PS. The harder part is to mount it to the front of teh case. You can buy an ATX switch that looks similiar to the AT switch and then it would mount via two screws into the back of the front face plate. The orientation of the connection to the motherboard does not matter with an ATX power switch.

#11 ·
Originally posted by pronute:
Like I already stated you need a momentary contact connected to the motherboard front panle connector. Did you do that, the power switch on the back of the ATX PSU is for the tuning off and on the 115AC power source and does not power up the unit.
Havent been home to do it yet but what do you mean "momentary contact to the mobo front panel connector". Is that the pin settings for like the front panel lights and such?

Thanks

#12 ·
The front panle connecter pins are for HDD LED, Power LED, softoff button (momentary contact), Reset, (also momentary contact AT and ATX), Keyboard lock, Turbo LED, Power save LED,

#13 ·
A simple way to make a POWER SWITCH work on that computer is to unplug the wire to the RESET pins on the motherboard and plug it into the POWER pins. Refer to the manual for which pins to use... if its not printed on the board.

Then your RESET button becomes your ON/OFF switch.

#15 ·
Compilerxp,
Did just like you said with the reset button got the thing running then all of a sudden smoke......couldnt see where it was coming from and unplugged it fast. This is the reason the power supply was replaced by someone else in the first place. Started it up again to see where the smoke was coming from had it running for about a minute and it shut down. Wont start back up again. Although when I hit the start button the fans turn about 1 revolution again. Any ideas?

Thanks

#16 ·
Most likely power supply... if something was set wrong, that could do it.... the mobo could be defective and blowing out PSUs... afterall, it does have a ODD power system. :(

You maybe able to take the PSU back in exchange for another... news can be "bad" wink wink.

I'd consider an Upgrade to something more current.

While I don't recommend them - ECS makes a dual-memory Mobo for AMD CPUs (which is a performance hit) or a KT-133A chipset board will support your old memory. Pop the thing in an ATX case & PSU, An AMD XP2000 is about $60... and it'll be up again.

Depending on what can be spent - $150~300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.