1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

another S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by ryuji, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryuji

ryuji Thread Starter

greetings,

i'm trying to run this game with p4 2.8, 1gb ram, and a 512mb ati radeon x1650 agp graphics card. when i started the game for the first time it gave me the default video settings of objects lighting with high level of detail so i played with those settings. however, even though i applied the 1.003 patch, the game randomly freezes and i have to restart from time to time. it runs pretty smoothly except for the action scenes however sometimes the game suddenly gets stuck seemingly trying to load something, the screen freezes and i can't do anything.

any suggestions are welcome and thanks are in advance.

2. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

heres my shot from left field. I've just started playing the game myself so I haven't picked up on many bugs or quirks yet but I have found one that may be what you are facing.
    First off the game seems to load a lot into memory and while it has been running fine for me using the settings suggested on TweakGuides I do occasionally hit patches where it not just stutters but seems to freeze (usually when entering a new area with a lot of stalkers in it, or passing by a stash / lock box that has a lot in it), I've had to wait as long a 1 - 2 minutes a couple of occasions ... people have mentioned this numerous times on their forums. So if you have been jumping the gun and impatiently restarting fight the urge and hold off for a few minutes, your issue may just be this ugly quirk of the games coding (there are instructions around about playing wit the prefetch that seems to fix this but I never bothered to write them down). hopefully thats all you have going wrong there.

edit - be careful while waiting though. Once I was taking a drink of coffee when it finished loading only to find myself in the middle of a big firefight ............... coffee is not easy to get off an LCD monitor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!