1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another SP1 problem or what?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by janlafata, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

Iam running Windows Vista Home Premium x64 on a custom built machine: ABIT motherboard, AMD x64 processsor, 2.2 GHz, 2GB's of RAM an a 256MB NVidia graphics card.

Usually I can work through problems myself, but right now I'm getting them in bunches. Although I'm not sure yet if this is a problem, something wierd started with SP1 right after I reformatted and loaded my Windows Updates last week. Right after I installed it, System Properties reported my RAM as being 16MB's!!! I immediately called Microsoft and, over a weeks period of time and many callbacks, they could not resolve the problem. The last thing they said to me was they think that my RAM is incompatable with SP1. The Kingston memory people got a kick out of hearing that!

Also, through all of the messing around with the BIOS and taking out memory sticks and switching them etc, I'm now getting a slow boot up, where on the boot screen it stays stuck on "Verifying DMA Pool Data" for about 10 seconds.
    I don't know if this is related to SP1 or not.

Finally, twice now, Windows has froze. Once on Bootup and once on a web page. When it did freeze, I got a buzzing or humming sound from my speakers!

I also called Smart Computing live tech support this morning and I told them I am having problems. They said Microsoft is now urging people to hold off on installing SP1. So I am thinking of uninstalling it for now.

Now one thing I haven't done yet is install or run any any anti-spyware or anti-virus, so I don't know if that could be the problem.

I might also just reformat, since I've got a feeling that once you've installed SP1, things are never the same, so it's best to do a clean install.

So that's it. Sorry to throw so much at you. All of this just makes me want to chuck it and go back to XP Pro x64!

2. unbidden

unbidden

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice