1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another strange problem!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by smithmdan, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Seems like I always get the ones that are hard to solve.

I'm working on a HP pavillion 8570C. I have used the Recovery Disk because of a virus I could not remove.

Everything was working fine when I decided to add more memory.
    Added a 128mb dimm. Computer is now in good shape except for some of the screensavers.

The problem is a minor one but still irritating.

What happens is that on some of the screensavers the mouse pointer and hourglass stay on the screen and never go away.

Any suggestions?

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Little irritating problems sometimes develope when mixing PC100 and PC133 type RAM sticks. Could you have done this? The bigger stick should go in slot one and the smaller one in slot two. (ex: 128mg in slot 1 and 64mg in slot 2) If you are using or mixing 133 and 100, then the 133 should go into slot one. Some motherboards will not support such a mix and this will cause those little irritating things and errors.

3. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure both dimms are pc100. I do have the larger one in slot two.

I'll try changing the two dimms into the other slots. (128 in slot one 64 in slot two) and let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help!

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Indeed, the larger dimm should be in slot 1. All kinds of starnge stuff can happen some you may have not noticed as yet. Little things like the problem you are having or "ghost" bars on the task bar or icons changing for no reason. Also, if after switching the dimms around you still experience your problem, remove the "new" dimm and go back to just the old one and see if your problem is gone. I have gotten RAM off the shelf that was bad a few times.

5. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Well, I tried switching the dimms but no help.

Still have mouse pointer and hourglass over some screensavers.

I did check the memory and both are PC100. Now have 128mb in slot 1 and 64mb in slot two.

Any other suggestions?

What would be the other problems I'm not seeing?

6. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Emtronics,

Sorry i did not see your last post before I replied .

You had already answered some of my questions.

I'll try putting the old memory back in and see what happens.

Have not noticed any other problems.

Thanks.

7. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Well, back to the drawing board.

Reinstalled old memory, got the same results.

Maybe I'll just forget about it, doesn't seen to be that big a deal.

Computer was brought to me by a friend because it had a virus and had never had scandisk or defrag run in the 2 years since they bought it new.

Tech friend at a computer shop laughed at me when I told him I was working on a HP. (I thought you only got at response when working on Packard-Bells).

Any other suggestions? Guess I'll quit for the night.

Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice