1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another TV-Out Problem (urgent!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris_in_la, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris_in_la

chris_in_la Thread Starter

A couple of weeks ago I learned how to use the TV-Out on my laptop. I am planning on using it for an event this weekend. However, today when I tried to use it I hit a big problem.

Like usual, I went to the display settings, clicked on advanced, clicked on the Intel Extreme Graphics tab and then the graphics properties, but this time there were three choices instead of two. Previously, I had the options of laptop and TV Out. Now there was a third option for dual monitors (or something like that). I tried it, thinking it might allow me to have the image on the TV and the laptop simultaneously, but quickly figured out I was wrong. But when I canceled the action I got a generic Windows error and had to close the window. When I went back in the only output option remaining was laptop. I no longer have the ability to choose TV.

Since that time I have rebooted my computer several times, with and without the s-video cable plugged in. I have also downloaded the newest driver for the Intel card. I even tried going into the BIOS to see if there was something I could turn on, but there was no option for it. I have no idea how to get it so I can use my TV-Out again.

Your help is appreciated!

2. winbob

winbob

I would suggest that via Device Mgr, you REMOVE all of the Video devices shown there, and then reboot the system letting Windows reinstall the devices and their drivers. Hopefully that will bring you back to where you started.

3. chris_in_la

Thanks. I tried it, but it doesn't seem to have worked. It is still only showing the "laptop" option. Any other ideas?

4. chris_in_la

Wait. Okay, I've figured out the problem. I realized that I was using a different RF modulator than the one I was using before. For some reason the older RF modulator couldn't handle the signal from computer, whereas the new one could. I'm going from the s-video output on my computer, through an s-video cable, through a converter that switches it to an RCA-style video connector, and into the RF modulator.

When I plug the RCA-style video connector into the new RF modulator, I get the option to choose TV-out on my graphics card. When it's plugged into the older RF modulator, I don't get that option. Weird.

5. winbob

winbob

Chris,

I think your last post points out how hard it is to solve someone's problem when they don't provide all the pertainent KEY facts!!!!

From this new piece of info, I have to now assume that your TV is not of recent vintage, and does not have an S-video IN jack...or you do not have a VCR attached that has an S-Video IN jack, or an AV Receiver that has an S-Video in Jack. Because if you do have ANY connected AV equipment with that capability, then the RFconverter is not necessary and is degrading your picture.

Please provide ALL the info in the future to ensure that you can be helped.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice