1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another Vista/XP File Sharing Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by FBJimmy, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FBJimmy

FBJimmy Thread Starter

Guys, firstly apologies for starting a new thread so similar to many others, but I have been Googling this problem for days and none of the solutions I've found so far have solved my problem.

The problem is this:-

I recently bought a HP Pavilion DV6317ea laptop with Vista on it, to add to our home network. The network has always worked fine, and has been used to flawlessly share files between the two wired PCs and one wireless laptop for some time.

After a small amount of fiddling, as I haven't tried to use Vista before, I managed to get the new laptop to behave as well as the others when connected via the ethernet port. When connected wirelessly however, whilst the laptop can access the internet fine, I am having issues using file sharing that are subtly different to most.

I can see my XP PC in explorer, and on the network map, and when I expand it I can see the various share directories I have on it. As soon as I go deep enough into any of the shares that there are more than a couple of files/folder, or try to open a file of any size however, the network hangs. After a while I get one of varying messages along the lines of:-

- "The specified network name is no longer available"
    - "the specified network path does not exist"
    - "the network name is in use. Cannot reconnect"

The only time I get successful file sharing when using the wireless connection is when connecting to the other laptop, which is also connected wirelessly. Then it works fairly well.

The WLAN card is a Broadcon 802.11 b/g chipset, and the router is a SpeedTouch 716WL

To try and resolve this I have performed the following steps:-

1. I have uninstalled the WLAN drivers, tested if it works with windows standard drivers, then reinstalled the latest HP supplied drivers.

2. Selected all the apropriate options in the Network and Sharing Centre (Network discovery on, File sharing on, Public folder sharing on, Password protected sharing off, Media sharing on)

3. Selected network location as private.

4. Updated the firmware on the router to v6.2

5. Installed the 'Link-Level Topology Discovery Responder' protocol onto the XP machine.

6. Disabled all software firewalls.

7. Ensured all machines are on the same workgroup.

8. Pinged between the machines by IP address and computer name, both work.

9. Ensured that the correct gateway and subnet masks were specified.

10. Enabled simple file sharing on the XP machine (and on the Vista one by removing password protection, as above)

11. Re-flashed the BIOS on the laptop to a newer version.

12. Tried accessing the folders using explorer, a 'run' command, using mapped network drives, using 3rd party sychronisationn software

13. Checked in services.msc that in WLAN autoconfig, service type is set to automatic.

14. Checked there are no issues indicated in the device manager screen.

15. Checked that the anonymous network access keys are correctly specified in the registry of the XP machine.

...and possibly some more steps that i can't remember right now.

The only people I've found with this exact problem are on this australian thread

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=757087

which seems to indicate it being a SpeedTouch related problem, but then I have found that the brand Broadcom appears quite regulary when searching too.

The most difficult thing is that all items (router, wireless card, wireless<->wired connection, and general laptop setup inc. Vista) have worked independently, but only in this situation do they seem to fail.

Any suggestions please!!

Many thanks in advance...

2. nilpo

nilpo

What, if any, firewall solutions do you have in place? This type of problem is typically indicative of Norton Internet Security or the like.

3. FBJimmy

FBJimmy Thread Starter

I run zone alarm security suite on both machines, and windows firewall disabled. The problem persists with za disabled though (see step 6).

Thanks for your reply

FBJ

4. nilpo

nilpo

You said you haven't used Vista before...is it safe to assume the other two machines are running XP?

5. FBJimmy

FBJimmy Thread Starter

They are yeah.

6. nilpo

nilpo

Even though you've turned off the Windows Firewall, it's technically not disabled. Try creating exceptions for your network.
    1. Open Windows Firewall from the Control Panel.
    2. On the Exceptions tab be sure that File and Printer Sharing is selected under Programs and Services.
    3. Click Ok.

7. FBJimmy

FBJimmy Thread Starter

Hey, yeah I did that already. The thing with this is that file sharing works fine when the laptop is connected via the ethernet port, so to me this says that all generic settings on both machines are fine and that the problem lies specifically with the wireless hardware/drivers/firmware. Agree?

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

FBJ:
    I think you are correct.

Is this a desktop or laptop?

Which Wi Fi card?

Which encryption standard?

Troubleshooting suggestion:
    Disable encryption. Try connecting with no encryption.

RF123

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice