1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

another VxD issue

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chefbrian, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chefbrian

chefbrian Thread Starter

I found this great Tech Guy site last week and got a quick resolution to a nagging problem I had. Now I have another one I hope someone can help me with.

I get one of those damn VxD dynamic link messages on startup. I've learned to live with it, but it bugs me that I can't resolve the issue. I'm running '98 by the way.

I'm getting a call from NTKERN (01) + 00003106 to device
    "MTRR ", sevice 2. One solution I read said to check the CAB files to see that the needed drivers were there. I did that then reinstalled them for good measure without any luck.

Can someone give me a clue where to start looking to get rid of this message on startup? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can't find any clear cut references to that error either and none of the web hits concerning it confirm a solution.

However in the past the majority of ntkern errors we've seen involving 'invalid link' messages on boot up have come back to faulty ram. Since mtrr stands for 'memory type range register', this must certainly be considered a real possiblity.

The best test would be to swap out existing ram modules one at a time if you have multiple sticks. You can also try a software tester, DocMemory, though a pass is not conclusive. Have it run a couple of 'burnin' loops before terminating by pressing esc. Read the documentation on installation and running procedure.

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp

The mtrr.vxd is also included in DirectX5, so you may have an issue there, although it is not, according to MS used by DirectX itself:

3. chefbrian

chefbrian Thread Starter

Thanks for checking things out Rollin' Roq. Yeah, other solutions I've read seem to point to faulty RAM so I guesse I'll check that out next. As I'm not the mechanical type and have never been under the hood of my computer, I'll copy your solution and take it down to the shop and get them to look at it. Thanx!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome, let us know what you find. We'd certainly like to document a 'fix'. You might want to give DocMemory a run just for the heck of it.

Also have you tried starting in Safe Mode and seeing if the problem is reproduced there? If it is, then I'd say it is more likely to be a hardware problem. If not, perhaps there is a software conflict we can find.

To start in Safe Mode, tap the f8 key repeatedly when first booting and choose from the boot menu.

What Windows version is this, by the way?

5. chefbrian

chefbrian Thread Starter

Hello again Rollin' R. Okay, I shut down all my apps and restarted the sucker in Safe Mode. No, I didn't get my friendly VxD greeting. Went directly to the main screen. Does this suggest anything? I'm running good old '98 by the way.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's try some further 'cleanboot troubleshooting' then.

Run msconfig and for one test try starting with the following groups unchecked:

startup
    autoexec.bat
    config.sys

If the error repeats re-enable them and then click on the Advanced tab in msconfig. Put a check in VGA... 640 mode to load only the standard Safe Mode type video drivers. If the error doesn't occur then, you know it is Video Adaptor/driver related. Re-check to get normal resolution.

Also in msconfig > advanced you can try 'force compatibility mode'; this stops all 32 bit protected mode drivers from being loaded. It's just a test, but if the problem is there, then the issue could be with either cd/rw software, or device drivers associated with hardware in the Device Manager. Re-check after testing.

If still not isolated, try unchecking both the system.ini and win.ini files in msconfig. If the error doesn't occur, then you have the tedious prospect of narrowing it down to an individual file under one of those groups. They can be selectively disabled.

Here is some further help from MS on how to use msconfig to do cleanboot troubleshooting.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q188867

7. chefbrian

chefbrian Thread Starter

Thanks for the further advice Rollin' R. Looks like I'l have to set that aside for a rainy day project. Will let you know what transpires. Thanx again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice