1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another WIFI antennae question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jctusa, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jctusa

jctusa Thread Starter

I am trying to boost my WIFI signal from the 14th floor of a condo building. My connection is two bars inside the unit and downstairs or lower floors it is 4 or 5 bars. I did purchase a Netgear WIFI range extender from Radio Shack, but that will be going back today, but during that process I learned a few things. If I go outside to the balcony, I can get a 4 bar signal and also if I stay indoors at the doorwall with the doorwall open, I can get a 4 bar signal. Evidently the glass does restrict the signal. The only problem with that is on bright sunny days, you can't see the screen.

I was hoping there is a external WIFI antennae available that would allow me to plug into a USB port, extend the antennae outdoors to the balcony and not be restricted to sitting at the doorwall. I don't want to make any permanent changes to the laptop as this is a seasonal location for me. I have seen the USB adapter and wondered if that would be what I want to physically extend the access point of the antennae.

Thanks in advance for reading and any viable suggestions you may have.

jctusa

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Is your modem/router not inside your condo unit?

3. jctusa

jctusa Thread Starter

To my knowledge, the router is outside. When I ask about it, they always point to some poles outside.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Who is "they"?

I'm having a hard time understanding why your ISP provider hasn't set up the WiFi transmitter inside your condo unit, much less inside your building.

This is your network, correct?

5. jctusa

jctusa Thread Starter

Prunejuice, what exactly is a USB adapter? From what I can tell, they are a device to add wifi, if your laptop doesn't already have built in wifi. Reading their description, it sounds like it could be what I am looking for.

6. jctusa

jctusa Thread Starter

Sorry for the confussion. I am a seasonal renter at this condo and really don't know the particulars of their setup. They being the building management. Last year I stayed at a lower floor and didn't have a problem, but I got "upgraded" this year and as I suspected, the signal suffered. When I checked in and discovered the problem I asked and was told that they were working on it, but then I found out that is the pat answer they give every year. Later in the day, the man I spoke to told me the tech had finished and it was as good as it was going to get, which was completly smoke up my ***, as there was no one working on the net. Wish I could give more specifics, but really can't and I know my access to their router is prohibited.

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

8. jctusa

jctusa Thread Starter

Frank4d, I was thinking along those lines. Ideally, I would like to find something that I would be able to "stretch" to the balcony and close the door, leaving the laptop inside. Not that I am complaining being outdoors and have the gulf to look at while websurfing, but as soon as the sun makes an appearance, you may as well be staring at a blank screen. I am going to return the extender to Radio Shack and hopefully someone there may have another suggestion.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You couldn't get the Extender working at all, or when you got it working on the balcony its repeated signal was still not strong enough to penetrate the glass?

10. jctusa

jctusa Thread Starter

The extender worked, but it couldn't penetrate the glass or reach the router even on the balcony. I tried a USB adapter, which I thought was going to solve my problem, but same results. It showed I had a strong 4 to 5 bars signal, but when I closed the door, (the adapter was outside) the connection wasn't strong enough even though it still read 4 bars. Basicly it did the same either way, with or without, so why waste the money.

I have since talked to some other owners and they solved the problem by having the internet provider install a antennae on the outside of their unit. Now they are able to be anywhere in the apartment and have a strong connection. I guess that is where I am at, either adapt or mabye share the expense with the owner of the apartment.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice