1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Another WINXP setup freeze...!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by helpmewithxp, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpmewithxp

helpmewithxp Thread Starter

Well it started with winxp freezing during bootup, when it displays the windows logo with the blue bar shooting back and forth....then it would just freeze and quit moving.

So i didnt want to deal with it, wanted to start over anyway, so i threw in the emachines winxp restore cd 1.0. Formatted the hard drive fine, rebooted, started the winxp setup. Chose my timeszones, agreed to some disclaimer...

then i get to the next screen where it asks "What's your computer's name?". Hit next again, then it freezes again! It freeze right on the "What's your computer's name?" screen. The buttons go white (can select anything), then it acts like its about to take you to the next setup screen, but stays at the "What's your computer's name?" screen.

Figured it for a bad hard driver. Went and got a new one, ran the same cds, and the same exact thing happens, freezes at "What's your computer's name?".

Thanks for reading my essay, and any help is much appreciated!

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

There is a good chance that this is a RAM related problem. Is it possible for you to swap the memory out

3. devil_himself

devil_himself

1. Is power supply adequate for that motherboard and processor?

2.can be a possible heat problem, such as the processor overheating?

3. Is the memory correct for that motherboard and CPU, and is it correctly installed. Try Swapping it out

4. helpmewithxp

i dont have any ram to swap out, but before it crashed/starting freezing, i ran memtest for a little over a hour and it found no errors, but i guess it still could be bad. Its had the same power supply since i bought it, no cpu/mb upgrades so it should be fine. i guess it could be a heat issue, but it always freezes in the same place, its not like its gets hot and random times and freezes, it always freezes in the same spot.

honestly though i have no clue, thats why im here, so im all ears and desperate to try anything!

thanks!

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

What are your hardware configurations

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

7. helpmewithxp

friends comp, but ill give it a try.

amd xp 3200+ (not 64)
    1gb of pc2700 ram (two 512's)
    nvidia 6200 agp card
    new 20gb 5400rpm drive..
    not sure about the mb,
    but the model of the comp is emachines t3265

8. devil_himself

devil_himself

Try using the onboard Graphic during installation

9. helpmewithxp

unfortunately my onboard video on that comp went out about a year ago, but using a card ever since...

10. devil_himself

devil_himself

Try using a different Xp cd.... can be due to bad cd ..... as it is freezing at the same point

11. helpmewithxp

i have a windows xp cd for a different comp, but i dont wanna use its key on this comp. is there a way i could get the key from the restore disk?

12. devil_himself

devil_himself

You could boot from a windows 98 boot disk and at the DOS prompt, copy the I386 folder to your hard drive
    This way your computer can do the entire install from the hard drive

after you "start computer with cd rom support" type the following:

C: <enter>

MD I386 <enter>

CD I386 <enter>

COPY E:\I386 <enter> (Should take time about a hour)

then type winnt

{Assuming E is your cd drive and C as your hard drive}

13. helpmewithxp

ill try that, thanks for the help.

14. sarric

sarric

I am experiencing the same problem right now with an AMD model Emachine. I had this same problem a few weeks ago with a computer I was repairing for a customer. I tried all different hardware and determined that it was the CPU that was the problem. This model of Emachine had an Intel Celeron CPU, so I had one to swap it with and it started working. I however do not have another AMD to try. I still have a hard time believing that it is a CPU that can cause this issue. The reason I even formatted and restored the AMD is because of spyware, all hardware seemed to be fine. If anyone else ever comes up with a theory please let me know.

Thanks,
    Steve

15. sarric

sarric

I just formatted the drive and set it up from scratch after trouble shooting all the hardware. I reinstalled XP Home with an OEM CD and used the product key on the Emachine case, then downloaded all drivers. So there must have been something screwed up about the Emachine restore CD. All is well now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!