1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

another xp vista sharing issue

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Ugzz, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ugzz

Ugzz Thread Starter

So i had a home network of 4 machines, all plugged in via net cables. these are routed through a couple of switches through my house that all lead back to a single router controlling my cable connection sharing was spotty in XP, so i used IPX and all was well.
    However,

Now i upgraded my primary box to vista, so i had some of the standard vista. So back to Tcp i go.

I had some of the standard newb vista -> xp issues and vice versa. spent a good couple hours between here and google and still cant seem to get resolved.

So heres the latest:
    I scrapped one of the machines, who needs 4 machines constantly hooked up at thier house anyway.. (3 is fine :)).

Heres the computers:
    Server (xp sp3)
    Home Theatre (xp sp3)
    Primary (vista)

Server -> Primary = Success
    Server -> HT = Success
    Primary -> Server = Success
    Primary -> HT = FAIL (Access denied or path does not exist)
    HT -> Server = Success
    HT -> Primary = FAIL (Access denied or path does not exist)

They are all on the same workgroup, i have shutdown and turned on firewalls etc. have everything now setup to allow access (obviously working because 2 of the machines talk just fine).

Now im at a total loss.
    I brought up Server in a remote session in my primary box (within screens range of the HT). And made Every Single network setting identical on the HT machines as the Server machine. I figured the server machine worked this should do the trick, but no luck. I am still having the same results, the HT and my primary can't talk to each other..

Any ideas would be appreciated, all of my latest and greatest stuff and my projects are kept on my primary, even thought i have a seperate server, sharing on the primary is the most important of the three.

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Earlier this year I had the similar issue with Vista on our school computers. We had tried to network them in a basic work group because we did not want to implement Vista into our mainframe network just yet. We had spent a few hundred dollars on the phone with a Microsoft technician to find out that the home and premium edition of vista would not work on a network with XP so we would have to purchase ultimate or business edition to do so. So in the end we figured since we spent so much on tech support why even bother with Vista so we ended up downgrading the newly purchased computers back to Windows XP SP3.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's not correct. My Vista Home Premium works fine on the same network and same workgroup with my XP machines. You probably mean that Vista Home Premium and Vista Home Basic, like XP Home, cannot join a domain.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ugzz, please do the following trouble shooting with your Vista and one of the XP machines.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) – OK
    (if Run not on Vista’s Start menu, just type cmd in the Search box)

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

5. Ugzz

Ugzz Thread Starter

ok, so connecting through IP WORKS!
    Thanks so much for the tip! i really did not have high hopes there..

so what do i do to make it work through netname now? that way i can use shortcuts and other such things without having to do advanced maps

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, but it was meant more as trouble shooting than as a tip. :)

I can make assumptions about the results of the 6 tests, but would prefer to hear them from you.

Also, for those two PCs please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

nbtstat -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Where Vista is involved in the mix with XP it turns out you have to deal as much with the Security tab as the Sharing tab (ask me how I know...no don't). You'll find a list of groups and user names there and pemissions that can be set. If you can see it easily but just can't connect that may be the problem. I finally had to allow Everyone full control of the Object name to get the sharing free flow I wanted. So something to try if it hasn't been yet and all else fails.

8. Ugzz

Ugzz Thread Starter

fairnooks, thanks for the info. but i already got all that stuff squared away. im pretty good with file sharing normally. i just got this bit of a hickup for some reason between these systems. and actually if you do advanced sharing on a windows 2003 server, you have to pull the same crap with the security like you said, its kinda of a pita, but it works.

just some more info, i went back and added that fourth computer to the mix, its just a laptop i keep under my bed with svideo and rcas going into the tv.

that laptop can access everything in the house, the server can access evertyhing in the house. and the primary can access everything Excepet the HT, and the HT can access everything Except the primary.

but as said above, they can access each other via IP, just not netname..
    for now i have just been using the file sharing via ip. i set the primary box to use a static ip so its easy enough to remember. but its still a total PITA to not be able to use the netname

As for pasting both of my ipconfig /all, i dont think i want to do that. Im not really sure what you are looking for in there anyway.. not that its hard to track my ip, but my comcast dns,ip,hardware etc are all in there.

anyway, both machines ip with my router just fine, they are different ips, they both grab the subnet, gateways, and dns just fine. everything looks good in the ipconfig

as far as nbtstat (great cmd btw, never knew about it)

i have this - "PRIMARY"

UGZZVISTA <00> UNIQUE Registered
    XP <00> GROUP Registered
    UGZZVISTA <20> UNIQUE Registered
    XP <1E> GROUP Registered

"HT"

UGZZHT <00> UNIQUE Registered
    UGZZHT <20> UNIQUE Registered
    XP <00> GROUP Registered
    XP <1E> GROUP Registered

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you know that "everything looks good in the ipconfig" I suppose I would be wasting my time looking for clues in the ipconfig /all. Good luck.

10. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Have you checked NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Maybe you need to enable that instead of the default?

11. Ugzz

Ugzz Thread Starter

^ no need to be cocky terrynet, im just sayin theres a ton of info in there id rather not post all over the web. if you tell me WHAT you are looking for id be GLAD to post up that piece of info. lets not forget i have been working with computers for years, that doesnt mean jack online of course, maybe im lying, maybe i been doing it wrong for 8 years, who knows. but anyway...

. the ipconfig is grabbing everything just as it should, when i say this, i mean just like all of my other computers, and every other system ive had hooked into this router. the differance would be some ipv6 info becaue this is vista, but thats about it..
    if you have something you might be able to help with let me know and id be glad to post some more info.

as for netbios, it is not installed by vista by default. can it be installed in vista?, should it be installed in vista? i noted that the client and service lists are blank in vista, but there is a "have disk" selection. it is not installed on my work system and it has no probs with xp boxes at work. and netbios is indeed installed in my xp system if that is what you were referring to.

12. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I was just wondering if it was a "hangover" from IPX so I thought enabling NETBios in the advanced TCP/IP settings might stir something but I've lost my concentration as far as what might be effective here. You should have the setting for it in Vista though, under the WINS tab of advanced, at least it is on mine.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice