Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Answer an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data (Vista)

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Megabite 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have exactly the same issue as the person on this page, however I have already tried the three solutions and neither work, further explanation below.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/022386ba-a445-44ba-97f7-d8ba4b6cc54b/

I was watching a DVD on my PC last night when it began to stutter and finally the system completely froze. I would like it 5 min and then the PC would work again for roughly 5 sec before crashing again, I let this go on for about 20mins but the PC never fixed itself so I rebooted. On rebooting I got the above message.

1. My first attempt to fix it was using safemode, this however didn't work and it prompted me to use the repair progam on the Vista installation disk .

2. I booted from the vista disk and tried a start-up repair. This ran, said something was fixed and asked me to reboot. I did this but to no avail therefore I went back to the repair centre.

3. I did not have system restore turned on so this option was not useful to me.

4. I then read something suggesting I use Bootrec. However I tried running bootrec /RebuildBcd but it could not find my OS, instead I used the following commands;

* bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
* c:
* cd boot
* attrib bcd -s -h -r
* ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
* bootrec /RebuildBcd

This however didn't work either.

5. I left the PC overnight and now things seem to be worse. When I try and use repair centre it does not actually detect a HDD with Vista installed, it does however still let me proceed to the repair options so I can enter the Command Prompt. However none of the Bootrec functions work, and none of them appear to find an OS.

6. I have even tried reinstalling Vista however it will not let me reinstall on the original HDD because it says something about, and I don't have the exact message unfortunately, not being able to boot from this hdd because something is missing. It also says that 149GB is free when I know that it should only be about 10GB free, has the drive been wiped or is there just a problem with my PC reading the drive?

Any suggestions would be great, I don't really want to buy a new HDD or lose my data!!!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.