1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

anti hacker----anti adware programs

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dylan6940, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dylan6940

dylan6940 Thread Starter

recently downloaded cw shredder, spy bot, ad aware 6, registry mechanic, any positive or negative feedback on these program.........i.e. good idea to be using them ........comments welcome

2. Miz

Miz

I use all but Registry Mechanic. As long as you update Spybot, Ad-Aware and CWShredder every time before you use them, they work quite well.

3. fatcat6499

fatcat6499

4. takatomon

takatomon

as to adaware and spybot, i like them. it's great that their creators offer them for free with a donate if you want/can policy. those two programs got rid and continuously get rid of alot of annoying software. in partricular, spybot (the 1st i tried) got rid of a program that hijacked my homepage and couldn't otherwise be deleted. that was a HUGE relief. the downside to those programs is that you need to be careful that you know what you're doing when you use them. some utility program that i used changed several of my settings eg. my outlook won't automatically download anymore, my wallpaper gets messed up sometimes and i've been blocked access to a couple of sites that i wanted to download from. still, they are nice for tracking nasty programs down.

AVG is a nice freeware antivirus. it eliminated a virus i didn't know that i had.

yesterday, i downloaded "HiJackThis" which is a great little program that shows you what's currently running on your PC. the first time i used it, i found two clearly questionable programs running that spybot and adaware had missed that hijackthis zapped for me. after that, my websurfing speed went up noticeably. i'm still waiting for an expert to decode the rest of the hijackthis log. it's a small program that catches some things that other programs might miss.

as to firewalls, i couldn't get the one that i tried to download to work as i'm still fighting with my PC's other issues, but you should be able to find one that works for you at nonags.com, tucows.com, download.com or http://freewarearena.org/PHPNuke/index.php.

all have free programs that could be of help. a nice thing about these sites is that most software gets reviewed by users. i'd be most careful about using donload.com though as some of the software it has includes spyware. if you KNOW the program that you'll be downloading there eg. spybot, then it's handy.

hope something here helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!