1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anti Virus Software Conflict?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Scrolly21, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scrolly21

Scrolly21 Thread Starter

I'm trying to download AVG Anti Virus free edition. When I try to run the .exe file after I download it for some reason it unzips but then nothing else happens. The setup does not actually take place. Do I have to remove McAfee anti virus that is on my computer first?

2. mimo2005

mimo2005

DONT DOWNLOAD AVG WHILE MCAFFEE installed ,you will crash the machine ,sometimes you have reformat everything ,one more thing mcaffee is way superior than avg free edition ,if you wanna change ,change for something equal or better ,like nod32 or kaspersky anti virus ,they are all good .

3. HBLEAV

HBLEAV

Hi Scrolly21..

I did the same thing last nite. I disabled McAfee.. and then downloaded AVG (free).. Then - before I installed it.. I went to Add/Remove programs.. and got rid of all traces of McAfee.. Also went to run/find files and programs and got rid of it there.. and it was automatically deleted from MSCONFIG as well.

Then when there were no signs of McAffee.. I used the installer. and downloaded AVG.. Set it to scan every morning. and it came on right on schedule this morn..

The reason I disabled it.(rather than uninstall). was to make sure that AVG would run.. Then I uninstalled McAfee..

MIMO 2005.. Why dont' you like AVG.. I've been following threads and reading all about it. and prior.(on my older computer. I had Norton- total resource hog). and this computer..l year ago.. came with McAfee..

So I asked around. did ALOT of reading. and decided to go with AVG.. It seems to be working.. Why don't you like it?? Just curious..

Thanks,
    helene

4. mimo2005

mimo2005

avg is bad at removing trojans ,maybe good with viruses ,but not with worms and trojans ,specially the free edition ,and a lot people in here that have problems ,have the avg free edition .
    i am sure that avg is behind NAI (mcaffee) ,their engine is more efficient .
    and also read this ,very important
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100_award/archives/products.xml?avg.xml

5. HBLEAV

HBLEAV

Very interesting..I wonder how the other anti-virus programs do??

I have XP Professional.. So that seems to be 'a pass'.. but I also use Stinger and Panda.. as well..

Also. I run Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware blaster, and Spyware guard.. So I hope I'm a bit more protected there???

What do you think?? Always looking to learn. and if need be.. I can always change my anti-virus program.

Helene

6. mimo2005

mimo2005

here is my top notch protection like a CASTLE .
    kaspersky or nod32 or macaffee (my favorites antivirus)
    then few people know about these two piece of art >>>
    wormguard (real time protection)
    tds-3 (real time protection)
    i have these programs i can go to anywebsite even full with malicious scripts ,i always get warnings ,that the script was blocked or quarantined ,but never get hammered ,if you like to surf and download stuff ,it s good to be protected ,believe me .
    One other big advice to everybody : anything that says FREE software is bad , full with spy ,worm trojan etc etc ,avoid free tools and softwares .something like clock atomic or some crap like that ,or weather watch , that s crap too ,etc etc etc etc .

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice