Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti-virus software

4K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  alienadam 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend an anti-virus software. I had a computer guy look at my computer and he told me Norton Anti-virus was more pain than its worth.
HELP!!!! Thank you

#2 ·
I have Norton SystemWorks 2004. Norton is excellent and robust but it is really bloated, it can really make your PC's performance plummet if it isn't powerful enough to handle it. An excellent substitute is Trend Micro's PC-Cillin or if you don't want to pay for an antivirus you can get AVG or avast.

#6 ·
Less important than which AV you get is that you spend the time to learn how to use it, and commit yourself to updating it regularly and doing a scan routine. Many people here like AVG because it is free, it is a good choice.

I have used Trend Micro PC-Cillin myself within the last month, and found it to be effective and unobtrusive. It comes with both AV and firewall for $49.95. Triple6, what problems did you have with it that you can't recommend it?

The AV I currently use is eTrust EZ Armor by Computer Associates. I get it free courtesy of Roadrunner, but it is priced at $49.95. It has AV, firewall and antispam features. I have been very happy with it, just the other day it caught two trojans that an online RPG gamesite tried to download onto my computer.

#7 ·
Its poorly laid out in my opinion and have seen it let by or fail to remove several well known viruses. Also when it gets disabled its hard to tell that its not working, especially by end consumers.

I believe Norton has the highest rate of virus detection, AVG apparently has a fairly low rate of detection of the big names in AV. One thing that I do like about Norton, even though its a resource hog and it highlights even the smallest problems with your O/S with errors during its install or use, is that it almost always complains that somethings wrong. Meaning if there's something wrong the users going to find out pretty quick.

#12 ·
i'm disappointed with avg after all the hype about it, i downloaded it and basically all it did was say it couldnt be healed and sent it to the virus vault.
mcafee is pay and its cleaned everything, even while downloading a doubled zipped virus.

any good free ones that will do what mcafee did b/c if so we all wanna know.

#13 ·
Whats wrong with it being quarantined? Most good antiviruses quarantine files for backup - its a good feature. Not all files can be fixed(healed), in which case the file has to be deleted. If its an important file you don't necessarily want it permantently deleted. Some files can't be fixed because they are only the virus so they have to be delete and the virus vault allows to keep a copy just in case.

McAfee generally gets poor reviews. Norton and Trend usually get the best reviews.

#14 ·
reviews are biased, they speak of the retail mcafee, i'm using vso and it runs quietly in the bg and when i get a virus it heals it (3/4) and other ones go to quarantine. It will even detect double zipped viruses while downloading. on the contrary retail mcafee sux.

Avast! was better than avg but it was wierd and lacking in things. i'm going to try out anti-vir soon.

ty for feedback.

ps in avg its good but in winxp it keeps detecting viruses as a logon but i have scanned so many times. i cannot view what its doing doring scan and it only gives me one option for everthing- move to the vault. thats why i dont like it. in mcafee vso it lists it like in ad-aware and lets me decide after.

#15 ·
I reccomend BitDefender Pro V8. It is very picky about letting things through and letting things run. It has a very stable firewall and very good spam protection for email progs. I got it free with my custom computer but i think it costs somethin like $50-$70 depending on what you need. They have a 30 day free trial on their products and even have a free full version w/ bare minimum options.

#17 ·
jsainz1 said:
Can anyone recommend an anti-virus software. I had a computer guy look at my computer and he told me Norton Anti-virus was more pain than its worth.
HELP!!!! Thank you
Kaspersky is the answer you are looking for complete protection great scannig capabilities and great integrated firewall-Kaspersky 5.0.149 thrust this!!!

#18 ·
iXneonXi said:
Avast! was better than avg but it was wierd and lacking in things. i'm going to try out anti-vir soon.
Anti-vir is pretty good. i havent had any problems with it at all :up: ... you have to update it manually (ie you have to click update on it it wont do it on its own) the only other thing is that if you wanna find things out about a virus that you got it is all in German but other then that i havent had one bit of trouble (i am using the personal version here is the site to get more information on it and here is where to download it

#19 ·
i just tried out antivir and it was the worse of all, not trying 2 be mean but it was horrible, its detection via active shield was much worse than avg and when it did detect it went into a really wierd dos screen. also it had problems with archive files and there wasnt heuristics. i couldnt find any advance configs and the scanner luke filewalker was pretty odd. i had 2 handle tons of stuff by myself and there wasnt a quarantine. it was more of a remover tool than what i would consider an antivirus program.

#23 ·
kaspersky costs money :( i dont like that. so does norton. is there any program atleast similar to mcaffee thats free b/c mcaffe VSO is a pretty lite program. hardly uses an resources, IMO the best shield, and a nice engine. it has good heuristics and also instead of giving insame popups while scanning it just waits till the end and tells me what do i want to do with detected files (if i even have any) i allowed eicar in to test mcafee and it did great detecting all of them. Most infected files it could clean, instead of measly quarantining them like other AVs. I dont think i had to delete any files except the actual virus file.

#25 ·
I like AVG. Once a virus was detected and popped up on the screen to run the AVG, which I did ,and sure enough, there were several Trojans detected as well as other viruses. It couldn't delete them. I went in and ran my Ad Aware-- deleted all that junk-- then ran AVG again. This time it was able to quaratine all the viruses. Only problem with AVG and Ad Aware is that you have to update them manually. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this automatically, and still not pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.