1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anti virus stopping Blue Rays from playing?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Lazlo_McCool, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lazlo_McCool

Lazlo_McCool Thread Starter

I have a quick question. I have a Blue Ray drive and am able to play Blu-rays just fine. I recently purchased Norton Anti-Virus 2010 and since installing it have pretty much lost the ability to play Blu-rays.

In Norton prior to watching a Blu-Ray I switch off auto-protect, Anti-Spyware, Automatic Live Updates and SONAR as well as I put the Norton into silent mode. This works to reduce CPU usage to between 50-70 percent. Then randomly the CPU usage will spike to 100% percent and cause severe stuttering and cause Powerdvd to become unresponsive.

So is there any way to disable Norton altogether when I want to play Blu-rays? I have looked and looked and even tried disabling the Norton process and it didn't allow me. Should I just uninstall Norton and get another Anti-virus that doesn't hog so many resources? I have also run tests on my BD-Rom drive to make sure it's ok and it came back with no errors.

Compaq Presario Intel Celeron D 3.46GHz
    Windows Vista Basic SP2
    2GB Ram
    120GB Hard Drive
    Nvidia BFG GeForce 9500 GT 1GB PCI-E 2.0 Driver, 196.21
    BFG 450 Watt Power Supply
    Samsung p2250 Monitor digital driver
    16X BD-ROM LG Ultra BLue
    Alhena 5 Motherboard

2. Megabite

Megabite

Personally I don't have much time for Norton....it is OK for large companies I guess.......there are plenty of free ones that are much lighter, just look below at my Sig with links........if you do uninstall Norton do a search for the Norton Removal Tool and run it atleast twice after removing Norton from Add/Remove Programs.

3. Lazlo_McCool

Lazlo_McCool Thread Starter

Thanks! Once I removed Norton and tried playing Blue Rays they worked again. I took a look at your Sig and have downloaded Avast and will see how it goes! Thanks again!

4. Megabite

Megabite

I use Avast...have for years......just remember that Resident AV can't always catch them all so do some Online scans sometimes too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice