Anti-virus

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MrsChesney

We received a new laptop for Christmas. Neither my husband nor I are tech savy. What kind of software(anti-virus, etc.) should we install before using the computer? It came with a free trial of Norton's, but that has expired. A friend helped us install CCleaner. I think we have the free version of AVG on our desktop. Would AVG be suitable for our new laptop? If so, do we need to uninstall Norton's? Thanks in advance for any help.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You didn't say if that new computer came with Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Load the Control Panel - Programs And Features window - which has the list of installed programs that are in that computer.

Write down and submit the exact names of all the security-related programs in the list.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Your friend may be more computer-knowledgeable than you are and may know how to safely use CCleaner.

If you don't know how to safely use it, don't use it at all.

Using its "Registry" feature and over-using its "Cleaner" feature can damage Windows and break programs and wreak havoc with that computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

MrsChesney

The programs I see listed are:
CCleaner
Norton Internet Security
Qualcomm Atheros Driver Installation Program(have no idea what
this is)
AMD Catalyst Manager(no idea again)

valis

CCleaner is a temp file cleaner; no worries running that one, just do not use the registry fix section. FYI, there is NO program that is a 'good' registry optimizer; they are all snake oil.

Norton - you can remove that from the add/remove applet (start > search ) appwiz.cpl > enter

the last two are hardware drivers, nothing to worry about there.

As for antivirus, yes, AVG is fine. I prefer Microsoft security essentials myself, but both are free and pretty solid.

and welcome to TSG. :)

thanks,

v

MrsChesney

Is it okay to just click on Norton and hit uninstall? I can't seem to find appwiz. Our new laptop has Windows 8 on it, and I am not familiar with it yet.

valis

try start > control panel > click on 'programs and feature' and see if it's in there. It may be under symantec as well. If that doesn't work, we can try a removal tool.

MrsChesney

Where would I find Symantec? I searched again for the appwiz under Programs & Features, but it did not come up.

Appwiz.cpl is the same thing as Program and Features. Inside Program and Features, you will want to find Norton or Symantec.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online