1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anti-virus

Discussion in 'General Security' started by MrsChesney, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrsChesney

MrsChesney Thread Starter

We received a new laptop for Christmas. Neither my husband nor I are tech savy. What kind of software(anti-virus, etc.) should we install before using the computer? It came with a free trial of Norton's, but that has expired. A friend helped us install CCleaner. I think we have the free version of AVG on our desktop. Would AVG be suitable for our new laptop? If so, do we need to uninstall Norton's? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say if that new computer came with Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Load the Control Panel - Programs And Features window - which has the list of installed programs that are in that computer.

Write down and submit the exact names of all the security-related programs in the list.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Your friend may be more computer-knowledgeable than you are and may know how to safely use CCleaner.

If you don't know how to safely use it, don't use it at all.

Using its "Registry" feature and over-using its "Cleaner" feature can damage Windows and break programs and wreak havoc with that computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. MrsChesney

Sorry. It's Window's 8.

4. MrsChesney

The programs I see listed are:
    CCleaner
    Norton Internet Security
    Qualcomm Atheros Driver Installation Program(have no idea what
    this is)
    AMD Catalyst Manager(no idea again)

5. valis

valis Moderator

CCleaner is a temp file cleaner; no worries running that one, just do not use the registry fix section. FYI, there is NO program that is a 'good' registry optimizer; they are all snake oil.

Norton - you can remove that from the add/remove applet (start > search ) appwiz.cpl > enter

the last two are hardware drivers, nothing to worry about there.

As for antivirus, yes, AVG is fine. I prefer Microsoft security essentials myself, but both are free and pretty solid.

and welcome to TSG. :)

thanks,

v

6. MrsChesney

Is it okay to just click on Norton and hit uninstall? I can't seem to find appwiz. Our new laptop has Windows 8 on it, and I am not familiar with it yet.

7. valis

valis Moderator

try start > control panel > click on 'programs and feature' and see if it's in there. It may be under symantec as well. If that doesn't work, we can try a removal tool.

8. MrsChesney

Where would I find Symantec? I searched again for the appwiz under Programs & Features, but it did not come up.

9. valis

valis Moderator

did you see anything for norton?

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Appwiz.cpl is the same thing as Program and Features. Inside Program and Features, you will want to find Norton or Symantec.

11. MrsChesney

Yes, I see Norton.

12. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree with Phantom010. Run the Norton removal tool afterwards so it can find and remove the leftover "debris" from the uninstall.

-----------------------------------------------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice