1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anti Virus

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Kuwaiti Kid, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kuwaiti Kid

Kuwaiti Kid Thread Starter

I am told that Linux is not affected by viruses because the system is somewhat protected havng both root and used modes. If this is indeed untrue what anti virus software should I use? Being fairly new to linux I need and anti virus program that is relatively easy to install

2. liviu

liviu

Generally depends on the application you use for mail (Sendmail, RMail, Postfix aso).
    For instance, if you use Sendmail you can use:
    http://home.i.cz/reho//check_virus/

A solution is to find at:
    www.freshmeat.net
    an antivirus for the specific application you use.

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

There is not as much of a need to use AV on linux, however, you still need to take your basic security precautions. Use md5 sums to check and make sure all downloads (especially system critical applications) are not compromised, and dont work as root. If you get really paranoid, there is ClamAV, (http://www.clamav.net/), and tripwire, (http://www.tripwire.org/). A lot of linux security is simply common sense.

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Oh, and a firewall is a good idea. Guarddog and firestarter will allow you to graphically configure the built in kernel level firewall.

5. codejockey

codejockey

In fact, Linux does not have many of the security holes built into Windoze and related applications (Outlook Express, Internet Exploder, etc.). However, Linux is still vulnerable to attack -- and your system most definitely can be compromised. It's just more difficult to do. I believe there are few, if any, Linux viruses -- but there are plenty of Linux exploits (buffer overruns, etc.) -- and as long as the setuid program is a feature of Linux, there will be this potential for problems.

You should also consider whether you intend to use your Linux system as a server for Windoze machines, and if so, you may want to consider installing AV software on Linux that will detect viruses in files destined for Windoze machines (email, for example). One product to consider is f-prot, which I believe is still free for Linux use, and of generally excellent quality.

Hope this helps.

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Again. I cannot emphasise how much common sense plays into this. There are no dummy "set and forget" av/security tools on linux. You have to work with security. "Security is a Process, not a product."

7. lynch

lynch

I'm with whiteskin and codejockey on this one; use common sense on security and use AV for serving mail to windows clients.

Codejockey must have finished his latest walkabout. :D
    Hi, codejockey!
    :)
    lynch

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice