1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anti Virus

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tomabounader, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomabounader

tomabounader Thread Starter

Hi,
    I recently got back from holiday and installed a new 2006 Norton Anti Virus Package. Once I had unintalled my previous programmes (AVG and Zone Alarm) and installed Norton. I found that my page file usage had jumped to well over 350mb, whereas it had sat at about 100 before.

Is this normal? if so I find it paradoxical that you intall these programmes to prevent virus's and junk that slows your computer down, when it they do themselves...

I have a 2.5Ghz Pentium with 512 Mb RAM and XP SP2 which is well above the Norton recommended stats. Any ideas... because otherwise i think i'm binning it...

2. golferbob

golferbob

i think you should have left things alone. i like avg & zone alarm. they use a lot less resourses then nonton.LOL

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

You have discovered what is regularly mentioned here at TSG: Norton porograms are "resource hogs." They are also know to cause troubles of one kind or another. Bad choice.
    {redoak}

4. 1ets

1ets

Large programs, as well as many other things in life, merely prove that bigger is not necessarily better.

5. tomabounader

tomabounader Thread Starter

hmm yeah i see now... think i'll give it to my mum to use :)

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You have installed a much more sophisticated program. It provides more than AVG does hence the need for more resources.

* Automatically detects and blocks high-risk spyware and adware programs before they are installed on your system.
    * Detects and removes dangerous spyware, keystroke loggers, and other unwanted monitoring software*.
    * Prevents spyware programs from hijacking your home page and redirecting you to their download sites*.

Adding similar real time monitoring functionality to AVG will require another program and again more resources will be needed.

Have you really noticed a slow down or are you just noting the PF usage?

They do much more than that, they will cripple a computer's functionality and compromise your personal data.

It only cost about $30/year for a nice, secure set up if Norton is not your cup of tea.

> AVG Free
    > Zone Alarm Free
    > Spyware Doctor $29

Although many will chime in with free (non monitoring) or spyware only solutions, Spyware Doctor does so much more and does it well.

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/features/

7. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"WinPatrol," "SpywareBlaster" and "SpywareGuard" all "monitor" and are free. WP is supposed to use less 'resources' than SG. Use one or the other.
    {redoak}

8. dorsflando

dorsflando

:) I used Norton for a couple of years and had continuous problems with it; a friend of mine who's in the pc-business adviced me to install AVG, which I did; I'm very satisfied about it, and I use it with the following freeware: Spybot Search& Destroy, Spyblaster,Adaware SE personal, CCleaner, Ewido anti-spyware, Prevx1, SUPERantispyware , Frontgate Mx (anti-spam), Zone Alarm (firewall), Firefox (with McAfee Site-Advisor extension)

9. 1ets

1ets

Every item on your kist has worked for me for years with no hassles or problems

10. Caleb Powers

Caleb Powers

Norton Antivirus failed to prevent a serious virus infestation that ultimately required me to replace the hard drive on my laptop at no end of time and expense. The full story of this is set out in my thread "CPU Usage 100% What???" in the hardware section of this board. I attribute the virus attack to viruses which were contained in an update to Webroot SpySweeper I downloaded; at least one other person has had similar problems and noted them in a thread here, titled "WebRoot SpySweeper -- Strange CPU Usage Problems," in the "Other Software" section of this board.

Now, I run Kaspersky Anti-Virus, primarily on the recommendation of the PC World top ten list. Kaspersky wasn't number one on the list, but it was particularly praised for finding viruses that other programs missed. AVG, which appears to be the darling of computer techies, came in dead last. AVG appears to be inoffensive, in that it appears to rarely conflict with anything, but apparently it doesn't actually work particularly well in detecting threats.

I run the free spyware programs Ad Aware SE, and Spybot Search & Destroy.

11. dorsflando

dorsflando

My server already blocks viruses; so I think with Avg, I have a good protection against it (I'm not speaking here about spyware and malware); I don't pretend Norton doesn't do its job, but there are way too many problems linked to it (one has to do little research on the net to find some rather weird stories about this antivirus, and not only from the average pc-user like me..); I don't think an "inoffensive" antivirus would get so many positive comments in magazines and by professionals; regardless of the problems I had with Norton, I remember having updates twice or sometimes only once a week! Avg has updates every day (sometimes twice a day). I've been using Avg for about 6 months now, and I doublechecked the results a few times with the Panda free online scan. But of course, if one is happy with whatever antivirus scan, there's no reason to change..!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!