1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Antivirus and printer questions.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mytyacd, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mytyacd

mytyacd Thread Starter

I have a couple questions....

First...I want to get the AVG Internet Security for my desktop and 2 laptops. I can get 1 year for all 3 for $50. Issue is...my one laptops disc drive is not working. Is there an option to download from internet when you purchase a disc for the virus protection? Any suggestions for what I can do? To buy the same thing where you download the product cost like $150.

Next issue....I have a dell desktop with Windows XP. I have an All-In-One HP printer 750 series. The printer worked fine for years with that computer. I did a restore and at first it would print but not scan. Then I uninstalled the printer to reinstall and noticed the disc doesn't list Windows XP on it. I went to HP site and tried downloading a driver for this issue but it did not help. Any ideas??

I'd appreciate any help.....Tricia

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

Hello Tricia. For your anti-virus, I would suggest saving your money and using Microsoft Security Essentials. I like and have used Free AVG for many years, but find that the pay versions have gotten a little bloated and slow down computers a little too much for my liking. MSE works well, protects well, and costs nothing. Here's more info:

http://helpmerick.com/installing-microsoft-security-essentials-video-tip.htm

As for your printer issue, HP has a driver and software cleanup utility that you might want to try here: http://tinyurl.com/3y8ysnx

Unplug your printer from your computer and follow the directions at the link. Then download the latest software from HP, and try installing again.

Good luck.

3. mytyacd

mytyacd Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I was told that free versions don't protect as well. I want an Internet Security version. Is that what the MSE is? I had McAfee and found switching to AVG made a difference. So if the version you buy will bog things down....don't want that either. Why are they that way?? Just to know....what do you think is the best "store bought" Internet Security?

I will try the printer tomorrow.

Thanks again....Tricia

4. Hughv

Hughv

AVG has gotten too big for its breeches. MS Security Essentials is getting very good reviews and I've installed it many times.
    The funny thing about paid AV/Anti-Spyware is that they expire, people often fail to renew them, or don't renew on time and people get infections.
    There's no truth to the rumor that free AV is better or worse than paid.

5. helpmerick

helpmerick

I agree whole heartedly with Hughv...paid for security is better than free security is as big a wive's tale as "I only open email from people I know". I will qualify my statement a little further: IF you take the time to learn how to use and configure ALL the components of a larger security package, AND IF you keep up with the new information available on how to tweak and coddle the software, AND IF you don't mind the performance hit (and there is a LARGE hit with these packages, don't let the advertising sway you, it's real and it's significant...especially on older machines), AND IF you don't practice smart surfing, searching and emailing, then MAYBE the paid for packages are worth it.

Lots of large IFs and BUTS in that paragraph. Windows security boils down to 3 basic things:

1. Have a lightweight and easy to maintain AV and AntiSpyware product on your system and make sure it stays updated (just check the update date periodically)

2. Keep your Windows critical updates, updated

3. And MORE important than the first 2, be a diligent and discerning web surfer and emailer...there ARE people out there looking to take advantage of carelessness and naivety...don't let them get you.

Good luck.

6. mytyacd

mytyacd Thread Starter

I do all three of those. I have two teenagers that are online. I have had to clean up after them. That's why I had to restore the desktop. One of those fake security things got on it. And of course no one knew what they clicked on. If they are doing something and a window pops up in their way....that's it. I have educated them about that and now they will say something. Last time I told them to run Ad-Aware that I installed and apparently that helped.

If I use a free version of AVG or MSE....is there something else I can install to protect my online banking and shopping info. I think that is what most free versions lack.

I do not want complicated. But I want to be protected without losing performance. My other two computers are older and much older.

I have also been told...the more "popular" the brand...ie: Norton, McAfee....the more likely "they" are to mess with it. I guess that means the more likely you might get a virus.

I have also gone to review sites for AV. I always seem to get the feeling the info isn't quite accurate. Like maybe the brand that paid the most got the best review. Do you know any good review sites?

Thanks again for the info

7. Hughv

Hughv

You're doing it right. Education is your best weapon.
    You could also consider changing their (Separate) accounts to "Limited" to prevent them from installing any spyware. You could change this later when they demonstrated more awareness of the dangers.
    There is some good info here:

Malwarebyte's ant-malware is very good. Install it along with MSE and you've done about all you can do.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

8. mytyacd

mytyacd Thread Starter

So...would that replace Ad-Aware? Does it update itself or do you have to do that yourself?

I don't quite understand if these versions of free AV protect you when you do online banking or shopping. That's why I wanted the Internet Security versions. What's your thought on that? Can you just add something else for that?

9. Hughv

Hughv

MSE includes Av and anti-spyware. It's all I use. Use Firefox instead of IE, get Foxit to replace (Uninstall)Adobe reader, which is this year's favourite hacker target.
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html
    AdAware used to be good, but its reputation is not what it used to be;Malwarebyte's is the current best of show. It has a memory resident version that updates automatically (As does MSE).
    Do all this, talk to to your children and use common sense and you'll be as protected as you can be, short of switching to Linux or a MAC.

10. funguy123us

funguy123us

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!