1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Antivirus for Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bbgarnett, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hello,

My brothers new Dell XPS just came and I was wondering, since it has Win 8 do you need a third party antivirus such as AVG or something or does the built in windows stuff do the job well enough. I have seen other people say no the Windows defender or whatever is fine but I just want to see from you guy's on here.

Thanks,

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You'll find the same differences of opinions here as you can find anywhere else. :)

Some people want a for-pay security suite.

Some people want a free anti-virus.

Some, including me, use the Windows firewall and Windows Defender (in Windows 8 the Windows Defender is really Microsoft Security Essentials).

3. bbearren

bbearren

I concur with TerryNet.

I was using NOD32 (which was very good, by the way - small footprint and all) when Microsoft made Security Essentials available for free download. When my subscription to NOD32 expired, I uninstalled it and installed MSE. I've used nothing else since, have had no difficulties at all, and am well satisfied.

4. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

OK thanks for the replies

5. gurutech

gurutech

I use AVG. Been using it for years, never had a problem.

6. dai

dai

TerryNet.

his advice is spot on

7. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    backing up Terry. The major difference between a paid up antivirus and a free issue, is the extras, The basic Antivirus protection is the same.
    Most use the international dbase for the latest detected virus's, but there comes the difference.- How does each program scan, and how do they decide what is a positive or negative, severe or to be ignored. As far as I am concerned. Microsoft has the best compromise. Sorry, bit, help yourself! - I go with the built in one!

8. raybro

raybro

I, too, use Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall on my Win 8 system.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice