Antivirus installation size

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

downtime

I just installed PCcillin on Vista Ultimate. The file was 82.1 megs, it created a folder on the desktop of 180 megs, and it's 271 megs in Program Files. That's 533.1 megs in total. Has anyone else noted the size of installation of Vista ready programs? Do other program installations create desktop folders like this? Somehow it doesn't seem reasonable that a single program is going to eat 1/2 a gig of space on a Vista machine.

No, that doesn't seem right. And I have no idea why there would be a folder on your desktop.

Was the version you installed certified as Vista-compatible?

downtime

Yes. If you download from cnet, it's not compatible, but this was from Trend. I have no idea why it left a folder on the desktop. It was the first install I did on anything but the beta of Vista and I was wondering if it was a new thing. I've seen machines with the original installation icons from a 98 install still on the desktop after lord knows how long. I was thinking that if it's default on Vista, it would make a 200gig hdd about the equivalent of a 12gig on 98. It's like the temp files in XP, being hidden and building up to slowly bog down a machine, only on the desktop? Anyway, if it's only Trendmicro, they really need to rethink their install method.

I can assure you that that is not default Vista installation behavior. Having installed hundreds of apps in Vista, I've never seen anything similar. Let's point the finger at TrendMicro for the moment.

downtime

Hey, Elvandil. I see you're from Vermont. Probably having the same nasty weather as us, I'm only 20 minutes from North Troy. Throw another log on the fire and sleep tight.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online