1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Antivirus installation size

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by downtime, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. downtime

downtime Thread Starter

I just installed PCcillin on Vista Ultimate. The file was 82.1 megs, it created a folder on the desktop of 180 megs, and it's 271 megs in Program Files. That's 533.1 megs in total. Has anyone else noted the size of installation of Vista ready programs? Do other program installations create desktop folders like this? Somehow it doesn't seem reasonable that a single program is going to eat 1/2 a gig of space on a Vista machine.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, that doesn't seem right. And I have no idea why there would be a folder on your desktop.

Was the version you installed certified as Vista-compatible?

3. downtime

downtime Thread Starter

Yes. If you download from cnet, it's not compatible, but this was from Trend. I have no idea why it left a folder on the desktop. It was the first install I did on anything but the beta of Vista and I was wondering if it was a new thing. I've seen machines with the original installation icons from a 98 install still on the desktop after lord knows how long. I was thinking that if it's default on Vista, it would make a 200gig hdd about the equivalent of a 12gig on 98. It's like the temp files in XP, being hidden and building up to slowly bog down a machine, only on the desktop? Anyway, if it's only Trendmicro, they really need to rethink their install method.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I can assure you that that is not default Vista installation behavior. Having installed hundreds of apps in Vista, I've never seen anything similar. Let's point the finger at TrendMicro for the moment.

5. downtime

downtime Thread Starter

Hey, Elvandil. I see you're from Vermont. Probably having the same nasty weather as us, I'm only 20 minutes from North Troy. Throw another log on the fire and sleep tight.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice