antivirus problems & links taking to wrong sites

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jojo75

I have Windows XP. My free AVG antivirus program stopped running scans. I tried to uninstall so I could reinstall it and got this error message:

Local machine: installation failed
Initialization:
Warning: Checking of state of the item file avgcsrvx.exe failed.
File opening failed. %FILE% = ""
Error 0xe001042c
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgcsrvx.exe: creating backup....
Error 0x80070005 %DESTINATION% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe.install_backup", %SOURCE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe"

My computer started having problems rebooting and I had to restore from previous known working conditions. (I don't know if I worded that correctly but I'm sure you know what I mean.) It worked and my computer booted back up. :) whew!

I knew I had a virus and AVG was not working correctly by not scanning so I tried a few "good" antivirus programs that I knew worked for me in the past. Either they would not completely download because it would come up with a message that I didn't "have authority to run program" or the program would scan and then crash when it came time to remove viruses. I think I finally got it with Spy Doctor because it found the problems and I ran it again and it didn't find anything else. But....

I still can not uninstall AVG. I tried reinstalling it and that has made it to where it will now scan. It has not found any viruses. When I click on view virus vault I get this message:

Virus Vault initialization failed. The window will close now.

I also get that message when I try to empty virus vault.

Second obvious problem that is probably related is a link problem online. An example is, I'll search for "Facebook" and the google, AVG, or yahoo (depending on which one I use) results comes up correctly. I click on the link for "facebook" and instead I end up on another search results page for "spray bottles" (just an example).

I'm ready for your guidance!!!! Help me please! :eek:

Jojo75

I'm starting to think that this wrong link thing is a search provider problem and not my computer. My mother and my father-in-law's computers are doing the same thing. Is this a normal thing everyone is experiencing????

Jojo75

I have Windows XP. My free AVG antivirus program stopped running scans. I tried to uninstall so I could reinstall it and got this error message:

Local machine: installation failed
Initialization:
Warning: Checking of state of the item file avgcsrvx.exe failed.
File opening failed. %FILE% = ""
Error 0xe001042c
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgcsrvx.exe: creating backup....
Error 0x80070005 %DESTINATION% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe.install_backup", %SOURCE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe"

My computer started having problems rebooting and I had to restore from previous known working conditions. (I don't know if I worded that correctly but I'm sure you know what I mean.) It worked and my computer booted back up. :) whew!

I knew I had a virus and AVG was not working correctly by not scanning so I tried a few "good" antivirus programs that I knew worked for me in the past. Either they would not completely download because it would come up with a message that I didn't "have authority to run program" or the program would scan and then crash when it came time to remove viruses. I think I finally got it with Spy Doctor because it found the problems and I ran it again and it didn't find anything else. But....

I still can not uninstall AVG. I tried reinstalling it and that has made it to where it will now scan. It has not found any viruses. When I click on view virus vault I get this message:

Virus Vault initialization failed. The window will close now.

I also get that message when I try to empty virus vault.

Second obvious problem that is probably related is a link problem online. An example is, I'll search for "Facebook" and the google, AVG, or yahoo (depending on which one I use) results comes up correctly. I click on the link for "facebook" and instead I end up on another search results page for "spray bottles" (just an example).

I'm ready for your guidance!!!! Help me please! :eek:
HELP! it has gotten bad again! Internet crashes a lot, goes to wrong sites, and AVG will not do anything again!!!!!!

I have downloaded hijack this, I'm ready to get started.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online