1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Antivirus program updates

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by starship_fl, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starship_fl

starship_fl Thread Starter

I've used Computer Associates eZ antivirus for years. Six weeks ago it identified 2 new, I guess, files as viruses. It could not "clean" them.

Several on-line scanners confirmed their presence.

I'd been holding off on the latest version(update) because of the problems some reportred. After so many months, I assumed they had it cleaned up.

I installed it hoping it would find the problem. It worked terrible, when it worked.

I've un-installed that program and installed AVGfree. It immediately identified the troublemakers and deleted them. On-line scans confirm that they're gone.

Since then I've been unable to update AVG. It's a known issue.

Is there a sign here that these free programs are faulty, by design, in an effort to force you into a pay version?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi starship_fl

What happens when you try to update AVG?

Have you tried downloading the update file to your desktop and pointing AVG to it?

Let us know.

3. Pandatech

Pandatech

Go to www.pandasoftware.com and run the active scan. This scan tends to neutralize more than norton or mcafee and is updated every 30 min. best of all....Its free

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

AVG does seem to be having problems updating just lately,but it has happened before, its working OK at the moment in UK,I would suggest because its free and arguably the best AV prog there is its just the sheer volume of people accessing the site that is causing this ....try updating at different times

5. ddockstader

ddockstader

AVG seems to be running into some server problems of late. However, it's real easy to just download the updates from Grisoft and update it manually. I've been using it for about a year and it has been absolutely superb. These last couple of weeks are the first time I've had problems. I wouldn't read any Machiavelian intent into their current problems.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice