Antivirus program updates

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

starship_fl

I've used Computer Associates eZ antivirus for years. Six weeks ago it identified 2 new, I guess, files as viruses. It could not "clean" them.

Several on-line scanners confirmed their presence.

I'd been holding off on the latest version(update) because of the problems some reportred. After so many months, I assumed they had it cleaned up.

I installed it hoping it would find the problem. It worked terrible, when it worked.

I've un-installed that program and installed AVGfree. It immediately identified the troublemakers and deleted them. On-line scans confirm that they're gone.

Since then I've been unable to update AVG. It's a known issue.

Is there a sign here that these free programs are faulty, by design, in an effort to force you into a pay version?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi starship_fl

What happens when you try to update AVG?

Have you tried downloading the update file to your desktop and pointing AVG to it?

Let us know.

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
AVG does seem to be having problems updating just lately,but it has happened before, its working OK at the moment in UK,I would suggest because its free and arguably the best AV prog there is its just the sheer volume of people accessing the site that is causing this ....try updating at different times

AVG seems to be running into some server problems of late. However, it's real easy to just download the updates from Grisoft and update it manually. I've been using it for about a year and it has been absolutely superb. These last couple of weeks are the first time I've had problems. I wouldn't read any Machiavelian intent into their current problems.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online