Antivirus question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

4plus2

Hello,

I used to use AVG but version 7 put me off and now use Mcafee but dont like the way it insists on dailing out (on Win98) but do like how these two dont create a proxy server (127.0.0.1) nor does NOD32.
As Ive found the ones which do create a proxy for email scanning are slower, harder to setup and seem to conflict with my internet acelerator which downloads compressed data and also uses a proxy of 127.0.0.1.
Does anyone know of a good antivirus package which doesnt use a proxy or how to safely get antivirus and my compression app using the same proxy?

Thanks
Phil

4plus2 said:
Hello,

I used to use AVG but version 7 put me off and now use Mcafee but dont like the way it insists on dailing out (on Win98) but do like how these two dont create a proxy server (127.0.0.1) nor does NOD32.
As Ive found the ones which do create a proxy for email scanning are slower, harder to setup and seem to conflict with my internet acelerator which downloads compressed data and also uses a proxy of 127.0.0.1.
Does anyone know of a good antivirus package which doesnt use a proxy or how to safely get antivirus and my compression app using the same proxy?

Thanks
Phil
Im will not recomend a virus scan ,I use Norton 2005 ,not sure if sets up a proxi or not But years of using Norton ,and having very few problems with It,had more problems when i used AVG .
,but I will say that Interne Acelerators are skeptic at best,and a wasted of rescources and most came with spyware/malware !!!

4plus2

Could not get AVG 7 working properly. For a start you had disable the control centre so it wouldnt cause a problem when shutting down also email was disrupted so had to switch the scanner off. Just have to do a www search for these problems to see.
Ive just brought Nortons so will experiment with it first on my test 2000 system.
Should the web accelerator and email be able to use the same proxy 127.0.0.1 without any problems? Hope Nortons setup will be easier and more reliable.

Thanks for your input.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!