1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Antivirus question

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by 4plus2, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

Hello,

I used to use AVG but version 7 put me off and now use Mcafee but dont like the way it insists on dailing out (on Win98) but do like how these two dont create a proxy server (127.0.0.1) nor does NOD32.
    As Ive found the ones which do create a proxy for email scanning are slower, harder to setup and seem to conflict with my internet acelerator which downloads compressed data and also uses a proxy of 127.0.0.1.
    Does anyone know of a good antivirus package which doesnt use a proxy or how to safely get antivirus and my compression app using the same proxy?

Thanks
    Phil

2. caperjack

caperjack

Im will not recomend a virus scan ,I use Norton 2005 ,not sure if sets up a proxi or not But years of using Norton ,and having very few problems with It,had more problems when i used AVG .
    ,but I will say that Interne Acelerators are skeptic at best,and a wasted of rescources and most came with spyware/malware !!!

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  4. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

Could not get AVG 7 working properly. For a start you had disable the control centre so it wouldnt cause a problem when shutting down also email was disrupted so had to switch the scanner off. Just have to do a www search for these problems to see.
    Ive just brought Nortons so will experiment with it first on my test 2000 system.
    Should the web accelerator and email be able to use the same proxy 127.0.0.1 without any problems? Hope Nortons setup will be easier and more reliable.

Thanks for your input.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!