1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Antivirus resident shield type thing question

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by StoneRyno, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

I have been researching free antivirus solutions. i found these referenced alot. AVG, Avast, BitDefender, and AntiVir. I know you can only have one run resident but can install others for scanning as long there isn't more than one running resident.

My question is which of these offers the best quality for its resident portion?

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Hi StoneRyno All antivirus programs must be updated frequently to provide good coverage . All are not equal on any given day as new problems arise and companies work on solutions .
    The choice of what program to use is mostly a personal choice . Keep it updated and use on line scans if you need a second opinion . You can get them from here

http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html

3. golferbob

golferbob

4. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. i planned on using all 4 of them for a while to see what ones I like better. I was just wondering which ones resident shield like thing (I don't know if there is a collective name for it) protected the best or had the best set of protection features. Everyone seems to review the software in general and rate all 4 of these as good antivirus but nobody does/has a comparison of the resident shield thingy quality and feature cabability.

This is what info I'm looking to get. I spent hours google searching. But all I turned up was general review of each individual one. They all appear to have similar feature sets but nobody said anything about the resident portion.

So if anyone has used more than one of these or used one and maybe had a bad experience with a virus slipping past the resident part.

So far I have just installed AVG and see its resident thing can scan floppy, program files, documents, email, use heuristics, scan on close of file, scan all files, and choose to ignore files without extension. Do the others offer more or less than these and/or do a better job at them etc.

5. golferbob

golferbob

only have ONE installed on your computer at a time. they don't work well with each other. mcafee an norton are a pain to uninstall.

6. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

I know thats why I'm trying to find out which has the best resident thingy. That way I avoid conflicts. The others I'm just going to install the manual scanning portions. :)

7. golferbob

golferbob

8. StoneRyno

StoneRyno Thread Starter

I forgot to mention I read a article of sorts where someone did this where norton was used for its resident shield thingy and they had AVG, and 2 other antivirus installed but without the resident portion. That way they could open them up and run manual scans. I however don't intend on getting norton.

I continue my search for info any other good forums I might find info in?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!