1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Antivirus scanner

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Roshith, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

I have been having some problems with norton antivirus and want to uninstall it. Unfortunately im having problems uninstalling it(see this post for more details...reply No 2). Now im planning to get a new antivirus. Can anyone tell me a good n FREE antivirus and where i can download it from?
    Also, i need one where you can DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE FILES and not just download it through the program by UPDATING it(like McAfee). Can someone give me the link to download the updates also?

2. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

3. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

thanks jd_957......is it possible to download the update files for both of thse?instead of updating it through the program?

4. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

I have been using AVAST for a year now. Have not touched it. It updates automatically. Never had trouble with it.

5. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

ok jd_957

I know antivirus programs rarely have problems updating. The reason i asked if you can download the update files to the system instead of updating it through the program is that i use a dial up connection and if i was planning to download the antivirus software and the latest updates from a friends house who has DSL. If i had to do the same it would take ages. I get a download speed of only 2-2.5k and if im really lucky it goes to more than 3k.
    If i do it at my friend's house, i could burn the antivirus and the definitions and install it on my system.

thanks once again

6. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

am not sure. you would have to look at the FAQ list on the site. maybe that would help.

I know with AVAST. I have no idea it is updating until a little box pops on my screen. Also the program (AVAST) talks to me in the 'computer voice' telling me that my anti-virus definitions have been updated.

7. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

ok....thanks jd_957.......ill check out the FAQ later...gotta hit the sack right now...:)

does anyone know about any other antivirus thats better n lets me download the definitions instead of updating them?

8. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

bump.....

9. JayT

JayT

10. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

thanks for the link JayT

11. barncat

barncat

I'm on a slow connection and get disconnected every hour, but have never had problems getting updates...figure about 5-7 min/1megb...not too bad,,,usually takes less than 3min .....gl

12. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

well.......i get a very low download speed......less than 3kbps mostly...so it takes much longer. And another problem i would have when i was using McAfee was that it would stop updating in between and there was nothing i could do except cancel the update and restart it from the beginning.

13. JayT

JayT

Glad I was able to help. I sympathize, I was on dialup for a long time and I know how frustrating it can be.

14. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

lol...and the dialup speed i get is slower than usual and the ISP charges a lot for what they give. About 70 cents an hour which i think is higher than what is there in other countries. Even their DSL is expensive. About 80 dollars for a 256kbps connection.

15. JayT

JayT

mm, here I am paying $29.95 + taxes (about $32.00) for dsl - It is supposed to be 768 kbps, but it is closer to 712. Cest la vie. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!