1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Antivirus soft-- again and again

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by letchworth, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. letchworth

letchworth Thread Starter

Jul 2, 2005
    My daughter called the other evening, "Daddy, I need help, I have something called Antivirus Soft on my computer and I don't know what to do about it".

I did a Google search and came across the following link
    I walked her through all 21 steps of the uninstall guide given there-- including the download of the latest version of Malwarebytes Antimalware & downloaded the recommended "rkill.com Download Link"

The first time through she received notification of a 732 error with Malwarebytes Antimalware- while trying to update it, so we went on the Malwarebytes Antimalware forum and followed their recommendations for settings in IE8-- then it updated with no problems.

Ran the scan and found a few problems but Malwarebytes Antimalware was able to delete them (or so it said). Also, I did tell her to check each reported reference to make sure it was not in the "RESTORE" folder- as I know many infections like to hide there and re-attack once rebooted.

I then had her update and run SuperAntiSpyware free edition-- found only a few tracking cookies--- deleted them and it was late so she shut down the computer (plus some cookies needed re-boot anyway).

Next day I suggested she manually update AVG (her antivirus) and manually run a scan, as well as repeat the Malwarebytes Antimalware & SuperAntiVirus free--- and was told that the later two found the same instances of Antivirus soft. (I am no longer the hero she thought I was the night before).

Your suggestions would greatly be appreciated- we are three states apart, so I don't have the opportunity to do a "hands-on" right now, but she is pretty familiar with computers (was de-facto computer "go to gal" at her last job).

I did install "Hijack this" on her computer at thanksgiving for another problem she was having at that time- so, if needed (and if the version is still the same) she could run that.

Again, your help would be appreciated
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905824