1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Antivirus System Pro Alert" Messages Popping Up BUT i never installed this program

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by JustAGirlie, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustAGirlie

JustAGirlie Thread Starter

Hi-
    Thank you for reading and wanting to help.
    From reading most of the topics on this site, I realize I am at a very beginner level of computer literacy, so please bear with me if my questions and descriptions sound silly.

Tonight, when I started up my computer, I got this message in a bubble coming from an icon representing "Antivirus System Pro alert" in the tray on the bottom right:

"[picture of white x in red circle] Windows Security Alert
    Windows reports that computer is infected. Antivirus software helps to protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. Click here for the scan you computer. Your system might be at risk now."

Well, I realize now as I typed it, it has a grammatical error, which gives it away as not real, but anyway I clicked on it, and apparently I have installed some demo version of something called "Antivirus System Pro alert".

So I went to CP to remove the program, but it is not there in the list.

So question one- where is the program so I can remove it?

Question two- I purchased BIT Defender Total Security 2009 for about $90 so if this is a virus or something, why did it not catch it?

And now, that stupid window keeps popping up, along with another window on its own at the bottom right, with the header of the box being "Antivirus System Pro alert" saying
    "INFILTRATION ALERT
    Your computer is being attacked by an Internet Virus. It could be a password-stealing attack, a trojan-dropper or similar.
    DETAILS
    Attack from: 242.65.15.207, port 50623
    Attacked port: 3119
    Threat: Win32/Nuqel.E

Do you want block this attack?"

And then I have to pick yes or no, so I hit "no" just to make it go away.

This also continues to pop up.

Then I have a box in the middle of the screen pop up- it looks related b/c the header is red with white writing just like the box I just described above. This one says "Spyware Alert!" in the header- if you need more details on the text, tell me, but anyway then I have to pick either "activate Antivirus System Pro" or "Stay unprotected"- i pick "stay unprotected" to get the box away.

These three things are popping up, somewhat in a cycle, about every thirty seconds.

Lastly, whether I click any choice in any of the boxes or not, sometimes my internet was, on its own, directing itself to: http://antivir-service.microsoft.com/block.php?r=21.1 and giving me an Internet error "Cannot connect to internet".

I'm sorry this is so long, I dont know how to write it any more briefly b/c I do not know what is critical to know and what is not.

HELP>>>> please.... thank you... this is very frustrating and i am really clueless.....

2. JustAGirlie

UPDATE:
    Two Things:

1- I right-clicked on the window popping up on the bottom right and saw the URL was "kaka.... sysguard..."; well, I found "sysguard" on the task manager proceses, so I ended that tree, which seems to have stopped it for now. I had this issue with QuickTime and every time i restart the computer i have to end the "qttask" process tree.

2- i am still having the issue of being redirected to that page: http://antivir-service.microsoft.com/block.php?r=21.1 at various times. Then I go to "back" and click on the exact page i want to go back to (not just the back button) and i keep trying that till it works.

Oh sorry I forgot to mention I have an HP vs17 with OS Wind Version 5.1; Wind XP Media Center Edition. Thanks.

~Thanks again...

3. JustAGirlie

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!

Click here to download HJTInstall.exe
    • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    • Click on Install.
    • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

5. JustAGirlie

Thank you. I appreciate the response. I saw on another forum someone else had this virus and some of the suggestions were to download Malware and/ or do a system restore. Well, I am VERY leary of downloading anything- I've had AVG and Spybot and I think they caused more harm than good- or else I did something wrong, i don't know.
    BUt anyway, I just tried the system restore and this seems to have stopped the whole problem.

BUt do you think it could still be there hiding? Thank you.

6. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I can't say without seeing some type of log. I would like to see a hijackthis log and go from there.

Hijackthis was created by Merjin who later sold the product to TrendMicro. I trust them both along with Malwarebytes. I have both on my compters. I also had AVG but found it was using too much of my system resources so I have moved to a different product for that computer. I no longer use Spybot but I trust that product as well.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/835609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice