Antivirus XP 2008 and blue screen of death

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

astrodude50

My son thought that he was doing correctly and clicked on the "remove this virus" screen on his computer, only it was the rogue Antivirus XP 2008. His computer was frozen, but from the taskmanager was able to get it somewhat responsive again. I did a google search on how to remove this, and came across a set of manual removal instructions from http://removers.volyn.net/2008/08/20/how-to-remove-antivirus-2008-xp-antivirus2008xp-removal-tool/. It gave me a list of files to manually remove and dll's to unregister, although I was only able to find some of them. I also went into my control panel/add remove programs and tried to remove the program, but it said something about "uninstall.exe couldn't be completed'. I went into msconfig and turned off any of the newly installed applications running at startup and then removed the files it mentioned that I could find in the registry. Upon reboot, I got a blue screen of death. I rebooted again and was able to get into Windows and ran Spybot S&D and updated and ran a scan of his computer. It locked up when trying to "fix" the problems but finally left 1 file that it needed to restart to clean/fix. Upon restart, now all we get is a stop error and a blue screen of death. We can't boot into safemode and don't know what to do. His computer OS is WinXP Professional with all current updates/service packs. Here is the following stop error message we're getting:

"A problem has been detected and Widows has shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options like caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then Select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

**** STOP 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x804D92c2, 0xB1F7B5A4, 0x00000000)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online