1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AntuVirus won't start, or uninstall, or reinstall. Secure webpages won't load.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by monk930, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monk930

monk930 Thread Starter

I am unsure if I have a corrupted AV Software installation, or a virus issue, so I'll try to provide the basics, without wasting time/space on details which may just be superfluous at this point.

We did a clean install on my wife's laptop a few months back and several days ago it began having issues.

We've been using MS Security Essentials, and have had no troubles. The other day I booted her computer up to email her a file and saw the warning that there was no antivirus software active. I tried starting it up and it simply didn't respond. In the same session, I opened IE(8) and tried loading my Gmail, and it failed to load the page (was able to load MSN.com just fine). She's since told me that it's not been able to load the bank website, or other sites that require a login (and which I assume must have some sort of authentication involved).

So, we began working on a fix, within our knowledge base...
    We've tried reboots. Tried uninstalling MSSE, and get the error message that some installation files could not be located, and that the setup file should be downloaded again. Even after downloading again, still can't uninstall or reinstall MSSE - always get the same message.

She tried installing Avast! It installed fine, and its control panel would start, but no AV services. I've since read that this could be because MSSE still has files on there. She has since successfully uninstalled Avast!

I've successfully installed and run MalwareBytes AntiMalware, Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware scans. None returned any real hits (AAW returned a couple basic advertising tracking cookies).

During the Spybot install, it detected that IE was set to use a proxy for the LAN connection (port 80). I haven't set anything like that, but I do have a WHS, so I wonder if that's something it's done, for some reason. I unchecked that, and nothing seems to have changed.

For giggles, I've tried installing Chrome, and I CAN get to my gmail using that.

So, does it seem like I have a virus/malware issue which is preventing me from running any AV software, which I need to continue going after? Or, does it sound like it's simply a case of a corrupted MSSE installation, which is, in turn, causing other AVs not to fully function?

Does Windows prohibit IE from getting to secure sites when there's no A/V running? That doesn't seem like it's too far-fetched (we do tend to keep our browsers on the medium-high security settings, when possible).

Any guidance will be GREATLY appreciated, as always!!

--eric

2. monk930

monk930 Thread Starter

bumpity bump bump

:)

3. monk930

monk930 Thread Starter

Bumpski

4. monk930

monk930 Thread Starter

uh. Bump?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice