Any 3D game freezes on my computer after i installed update from "windows update"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zeferino

I hope this is the right place to post this. I put it on the "Other software" page when i thought it was only one program doing this, but i have found that all 3D games do this and i think it is a windows problem since it happened after i downloaded the windows update. When i enter a game i freeze solid, i hae all of the appropriate drivers for my video card and i have direct x 8.1

I am on:

Windows 98

Compa presario 5600

Diamond viper v550 video card

Onboard maestro sound

Pentium II 350

384 mb RAM

think that's all you need to know. can anyone offer me some supprt here?

Which Windows Update did you download?
Also are you using all the latest graphics drivers?

Zeferino

the update didn't have any other name that "Critical Update patch" Window puts them out periodically on their update page to update security files and some other things. And yes, i am using all of my current drivers for my video card and i have direct x 8.1

It could be a number of things but have you tried to bring the Graphics Accelerator down a notch? Right click on My Computer, clidk Properties>Performance>Graphics and then bring it down a notch. I had some problems in the past and I ended up bringing it down two notches so it's worth a try.

Zeferino

That's the thing, i haven't been able to even get into the games... they lock up the second they open. If i click on new game it freezes. just like that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online