1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Any 3D game freezes on my computer after i installed update from "windows update"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Zeferino, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zeferino

Zeferino Thread Starter

I hope this is the right place to post this. I put it on the "Other software" page when i thought it was only one program doing this, but i have found that all 3D games do this and i think it is a windows problem since it happened after i downloaded the windows update. When i enter a game i freeze solid, i hae all of the appropriate drivers for my video card and i have direct x 8.1

I am on:

Windows 98

Compa presario 5600

Diamond viper v550 video card

Onboard maestro sound

Pentium II 350

384 mb RAM

think that's all you need to know. can anyone offer me some supprt here?

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Which Windows Update did you download?
    Also are you using all the latest graphics drivers?

3. Zeferino

Zeferino Thread Starter

the update didn't have any other name that "Critical Update patch" Window puts them out periodically on their update page to update security files and some other things. And yes, i am using all of my current drivers for my video card and i have direct x 8.1

4. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

It could be a number of things but have you tried to bring the Graphics Accelerator down a notch? Right click on My Computer, clidk Properties>Performance>Graphics and then bring it down a notch. I had some problems in the past and I ended up bringing it down two notches so it's worth a try.

5. Dark Star

Dark Star

Zeferino,

How long were you playing the game for before it went awry?

DS

6. Zeferino

Zeferino Thread Starter

That's the thing, i haven't been able to even get into the games... they lock up the second they open. If i click on new game it freezes. just like that.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice